I wanna build my own computer too.. Click me please :)

dedb33t

In Runtime
Hello!

Well, I have decided to build my own computer instead of buying a pre made one because they cost too much and dont have anything good inside them so yeah.
Here are links to the stuff I want in them, I know I will have no graphics card but I dont have the money for that right now, I will get in a few weeks though.

Also I am having lots of trouble picking what CPU, First I chose the Pentium D 2.8GHZ Dual core, THen I noticed they have the 3.00Dual core, Now I notice they have a 3.4Ghz Dual core... Getting the 3.4Ghz Dual core takes away my video card. If I got the 2.8Ghz dual core I would be able to get a video card, But I can wait a few weeks anyway, Is there really much of a difference? Im not a heavy gamer, I play gunbound, CS, And gunz online (Basic games). Also can someone tell me if these things are compatible, I dont want to buy it and find out it wont work hahah... Also am I missing anything? Do I need more parts to get it running? Below are all the links to the products. Thanks in advance for all the help
CASE

RAM

I know thats not much ram, But I have spare ram here and a spare LCD screen so I dont need to buy the LCD or much ram

HDD, I also have a spare 200GB here

CPU

Should I just stick with the 2.8GHZ Dual core? Or is the 3.4 much better? I use programs like adobe, which work fine on this computer im on now (2.6 Dual Core), And I play light games , CS plays on all computers lol.

DVD DRIVE, I also Have a spare burner here

Motherboard

Ok well thats about it, As I said, If I get a 3.4Ghz Dual core I wont be able to get graphics card for at least a few weeks, But thats how long I have to wait for wireless internet anyway, Well, Is that all I need? Did I miss any crucial parts? Oh and is the mobo any good? I was thinking of the ASUS P5PL2/C but I cant decide, I cant find any reviews on it.

Thanks for all the help guys, wow major post. by the way, All up this system will cost me 690 AUD which is really cheap here.

edit: Whats with the posting system? last time I logged on I had almost 30 posts. Meh.

Defenitaly get a core 2 duo. It costs more, but just wait for our graphics card. And, I heard that grpahics cards are supposed to drop drastically in the first qaurter of the next year, because of the midrange DX10 cards that are coming.

Yeah, get a Core 2 Duo if possible; if your budget doesn't comply, at least try to get an AM2 Athlon X2, but the good ones are really not much cheaper than the Core 2s. And if you're into overclocking, the opteron 165 is a great budget option, as long as you know you're getting a good stepping. But then you'd need to change out your motherboard to an AM2 board or a Core 2 Duo board that has onboard graphics, and I think you'd be able to use that DDR2 RAM... your call, but really the Pentium Ds are just a waste of money.

And if you're worried about the Core 2s' and the X2s' GHz being lower, don't be. Their structure is superior to that of the Pentium Ds'.

oh ok, Well If I get the lowest core 2 duo then that is over my budget, But I will still be able to get it. Its the 1.83Ghz core 2 duo, Would that be better then getting 3.4 Pentium D Dual core??

Here is a picture of the stats. Thats for the core 2 duo one.

This one below is for Am2 X2

Why shouldn't I go with the Pentium D's? The computer I have no is pentium D and its pretty good.

dedb33t said:
Why shouldn't I go with the Pentium D's? The computer I have no is pentium D and its pretty good.

They're not bad CPUs, they're just not nearly as good as the Core 2s nor the Athlon X2s, generally speaking. They don't have an integrated memory controller, which hurts the 3.4GHz or so that they're clocked at. They'll probably do fair in games, but you'd be so much better off with a Core 2. And for one reason not to get a Pentium D: they're just too expensive. It's definitely worth the $50 you pay to upgrade to a Core 2, trust me. And yes, The E6300 is way better than the Pentium D 3.4GHz. Like I said, your money, and I don't want to be the one spending it, but I'm pretty sure everyone here would agree that the Pentium D is becoming obsolete. It's still very good for uses such as internet and such, just not for benchmarking, games, and other CPU-intensive programs. :)

Mike89 said:
wait the one i posted is the e6400 and its only 217.
Just remember, he's using AUD. The exchange rate is something like 4:5 USD:AUD, but their games/hardware are expensive over there.
EDIT: oops...beat me to it :D

EDIT2: @ dedb33t:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=437&model2=433&chart=169

That compares the E6400 to the Pentium D 3.4GHz. The E6400 is close enough in performance to the E6300...I don't know why they don't have the E6300. But there's not a huge gap in them. Feel free to change the benchmark thing to 3dMark or something; I'm pretty confident that the E6400 is far superior in everything.

EDIT3: @ dedb33t:

Sorry, but I don't know anything about Intel motherboards. You're better off asking someone other than myself. Didn't want to repost because of it being uninformative.

oh ok thanks, Well I just checked If I can afford it, And Yes I can :) But the video card will have to wait for 2 weeks or something. But thats no problem :), I play games alot, Alot of editing programs, DVD ripping, ummm And I hardly turn my computer off. Thanks for the help guys :), Also Im getting it off that gcco site because thats where I get all my stuff from, And they are one of the cheapest in QLD, They have good warranty and when you order something you can pick it up straight away.. And they are 3 streets away from me :D lol.

Thanks for the help people. Oh and is the mobo that I chose any good?

Is that the only stuff that I need? I know that the Case already has a PSU, Do I need anything elsE?

Thanks for all the help guys, I gotta go now and I wont be back until a few hours :(

Back
Top Bottom