wireless networking with server

Coopercentral

Beta member
Hi:

I'm about to purchase a laptop, and...I purchased a computer awhile ago, that I never used, so I'm going to completely dedicate it as a file server. I have a 3-user license of Novell Netware 5, and have used it before and really liked it. I'm going to put that server in my basement, and upstairs will be my normal computer, then up in my room will be the laptop. Anyways, for Christmas, I'm going to upgrade the server, and get a wireless network. I was just wondering, if this will work. I did find a wireless adapter for the server that does include Novell Netware. I heard that wireless sometimes doesn't go as fast, data transfer wise, but thats ok. It's just a small home network. Simply want it to store data, and really liked the administrative options in Novel Netware. Anyways, thank you for any response you can give me.

um will it be a home server just for internal file sharing between your computers or a webserver that shares files to the world wide web? if its a home server, then you will be fine with wireless.

Wireless is VERY slow in comparsion to a 100 meg wired network. Lets say at least 4 times slower.

Yeah, it's going to be just a home server, for storing files on. Im sure it will probably go slower, but it's my only choice. I won't be able to wire it in my basement. Thanks again!!

Just another point worth mentioning, If its in your basement, then make sure you can get a signal from there. I cant comment on your basement personally, but alot of them are thick walled whick can block the wireless signal

Back
Top Bottom