Deciding between these 2 cards

Hmm, I don't know if that'll work. From what I've heard, you have to play the game in window, because if you try fullscreen, it uses both.

oh - well - dual monitoring is the last thing that I'm worried about to be honest - as long as I got everything functioning correctly on one monitor - I'm good

Haha, that's true. What else do you need? :p Just as long as you can play games fine, I'm sure you'll be all good. :)

You shouldn't have a problem playing a game in 1 monitor and leaving your desktop on the other monitor. I've got a dual setup I know if I run a game at a large resolution it will try and go to the 2nd monitor. Right now I have a LCD and CRT and was actually curious how you get it to split a movie between the 2 monitors. Not for this setup I'm thinking about upgrading to either a 24inch LCD WS or 2 19inch Widescreens.

It is possible to view your desktop on one monitor while playing a game on another, yet, if you try and do anything on the desktop while playing a game in the other monitor, your game will simply minimize, which is getting rid of the point...

"Right now I have a LCD and CRT and was actually curious how you get it to split a movie between the 2 monitors. Not for this setup I'm thinking about upgrading to either a 24inch LCD WS or 2 19inch Widescreens."

This should be an option in the media player itself, with an option to split the movie through displays.

Kage said:
It is possible to view your desktop on one monitor while playing a game on another, yet, if you try and do anything on the desktop while playing a game in the other monitor, your game will simply minimize

true. But it's still usefull to have another monitor when gaming. Usually I just have irc open on the other one, so I'll see what the guys are talking about while I'm playing. Also very usefull if you use something like ventrilo or ts2 to speak with random people you are playing with, since you don't recognize their voice you can just look from the other monitor and see who is speaking.

But it will work fine, and IMO 2 monitors are definitely worth it.

Since in Vista the 3D card displays all the desktop. I wonder if putting the desktop and game on differnet monitors will cause slow downs in the game...

Well, theoretically, ANY OS will slow down using that operation. It will slow down more on Vista as it take more resources, but I that's why not a lot of people are worried from that. A faster card helps, and IMO, Luke2, I would recommend you to buy for $260, the 7950GT.

Back
Top Bottom