AMD 4x4? K8L? Octal Core? Tech talk...

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
I think it would be nice to have a thread to discuss about the latest and greatest stuff in the computer industry. Seems like hot topics now are concerning the Intel Core Duo's. Let's see what AMD can muster out. Now first off, 4x4 technology is basically slapping two dual core CPU's together on a motherboard right? So it is not true quad core. But it does pave the way for octal core power, hehe. Yeah, you heard right. Octal core coming soon. But first, quad cores. The K8L is a brand new CPU built from the ground up and provides true quad core support. Release date of the new K8L CPUs are mid 2007 and by that time, multithread software should be far more available, hopefully :cool: .

By this time Intel will most likely have their own quad core systems ready. One advantage AMD will continue to have over Intel is their Direct Connect technology and it's onboard memory controller. Intel does not have these features yet and so memory bandwidth will become a serious concern on Intel platforms as we all move to quad core and higher. Multi core will be the way to go. Oh, did I mention in 2008 DDR3 and PCI-e Gen II will be coming out? Don't upgrade just yet.

I think it would be a good idea...but this depresses me :( lol, I just bought Core 2 Duo...o well I guess its a neverending circle

4x4 is officially QuadFX. It's expensive and definately not worth it. It's also been beaten single-handedly by Intel's Core 2 Quad QX6800 (Kentsfield core) in pretty much every benchmark tested by Anandtech and X-Bit Labs. As for Octa-core processing, it's simply too expensive and impractical for the average consumer. Like the QuadFX, it'll most likely remain a niche product.

Come on, look on the brighter side of things. I don't really care about what is feasible to the consumers or not. I'm sure none of us will ever have the chance to use octa core in the immediate future but just the fact that it will soon be available is pretty neat. The technology is there. That's what I'm excited about. I can see a time when mutli core (regardless of how many cores) will eventually become beneficial to all users. We also have to look at what will support the CPU regardless of software and additional hardware. AMD's got some plans with modular designs so Im looking to see how that will do in the next 5 years.

The only good side I see on that CPU is actually the fact that it has eight physical cores on it. But, it doesn't use them all, due to the software not supporting such stuff. The only OS I can see are the Win2k3 based OSes.

On the other hand, it can last for a loooooong while.
For gamers, benchmarking is important, but for me personally, a good CPU is a good CPU.

I'm going AMD X2 next year instead of that powerful E6600...just because I run XPC and I am going to have a system for mid gaming. I've found that I'm not an obsessive gamer, but someone that does it all-in-one.

I can't wait to have two exact XPCs and benchmark them to see which one takes less time.

Core 2 Duo still owns any AMD processor at other things, not just gaming...

EDIT>>> Stupid server timed out on me...

Keep in mind that Vista only supports 1 cpu socket. So it doesn't support 4x4 or whatever multi socket AMD is trying to pull off.

Lol, only one socket support? How in the world is AMD going to get their 4x4 working? Hmmm, they must have something to work around it.

TRDCorolla said:
Lol, only one socket support? How in the world is AMD going to get their 4x4 working? Hmmm, they must have something to work around it.

well it's probably ment for stuff like servers etc. And as far as I know the majority of servers won't be running Vista.

Back
Top Bottom