Sli question

green101

Baseband Member
Is it possible to put in 2 different graphics cards in sli? Do they have to be the exact same model?

Not 100% sure on this, i think it depends on the mobo. Some of the newer ones allow you to. Whats ya mobo make / model?

Mine doesnt even support sli at all but i was thinking of buing one. Thats why im asking. But there are some that support 2 totaly different Cards?

No, you'd need 2 of the same model number. You can put in for example an XFX 7600GT and a BFG 7600GT, but you couldn't put in the XFX 7600GT and any 7900GT.

If you do, then the faster one will be slowed down to match the other one.

I'm 100% certain that you can, I've done it before, The only thing I'm not sure of, is if you can use differen't types.. Like, I've done it with an eVGA 7800 GTX KO, and a MSI NX7800 GTX, Now.. Those worked just perfectly for my computer, but if you made one let's say a 7600, I'm not sure if it'll work, it should though.

needs to be the same kinda card, a 6600GT won't work with a 7600GT. But the brand doesn't matter.

From the SLI Zone FAQ:

SLI technology requires the NVIDIA GPUs to match. For example, a GeForce 7800 GTX must be paired with another GeForce 7800 GTX. Likewise, a GeForce 6600 GT must be paired with another GeForce 6600 GT.

NVIDIA GPUs sold by different manufacturers can be used together in an SLI configuration. For example, a GeForce 7800 GT from vendor ABC can be matched with a GeForce 7800 GT from vendor XYZ.

Back
Top Bottom