Mother board fan questioon

hascet

Fully Optimized
I got a new motherboard and it came with an optional fan that is for watercooling/passive cooling only, and I have no idea what passive cooling is, so sshoul dI use it, I'm just running regular air cooling with a stock heatsink. Heres my motherboard...Asus P5B Deluxe

Passive cooling uses no fans to cool. Like the heat pipe cooler attached to the north bridge chipset on the motherboard. If the motherboard is unstable, or showing signs of overheating, you should use the optional fan. Otherwise it may not be needed. :D

hascet said:
Ok, so it wouldn't hurt to put t on there?
what the fan is for is to keep the vrm cooler which is very important,vrm is a voltage regulator,If you are a OC'r this makes it even more important to keep cool,A cooler vrm makes the cpu run smoother and allow for better oc and speed.So use it even if you dont think so ,But i will tell you it will keep it cooler running stock or ocing.

This is taken straight from the motherboard manual, does anyone read these lol :)

Installing the optional fan
Install the optional fan only if you are using a passive cooler or a water cooler. Installing the optional fan with an active CPU cooler will interfere with the airflow and destabilize the system.

^^ya I read the manual, but two reasons i'm actually getting the board for x-mas so haven't had a chance to read it yet, two, I didn't know what passive cooling was...

DO NOT put the fans on. It will interfere with the airflow on the CPU fan. I've got a Asus board as well and when I was installing everything I came across that. You only want to use those if your using a passive or watercooled system.

The asus board I posted a link to has passive cooling...

O ok now I get it, its saying use it if your using a passive cooling system to cool the cpu not the mobo, sorry for the misunderstanding.

hascet said:
^^ya I read the manual, but two reasons i'm actually getting the board for x-mas so haven't had a chance to read it yet, two, I didn't know what passive cooling was...

The asus board I posted a link to has passive cooling...

O ok now I get it, its saying use it if your using a passive cooling system to cool the cpu not the mobo, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Do what ya like .....

Back
Top Bottom