What are the best online shooter out there?!

Usually, I play UT2004. CS:S and HL2: DM. Some games are better than others, but it's up to you to find it out. Each one has their ways to express opinions.

MikeReiner said:
First off, steam isn't a company, it's a program.
Second off, if you think for even a moment that Valve is the worst company ever... you obviously have never heard of EA.. which means you live in a cave.

I mean shit, look at companies like EA. They buy out a game company, force them to make some game quickly, support it for like 3 months with few updates, then ditch it. Only games that get extremely popular like Battlefield ever get supported for long periods of time.

EA works to make their wallet thicker, it's ran by business men, not gamers.
I truly despise that company on every possible level that one can despise.

If you meant that steam is a horrible program.. well.. I think it varies. Some people have no issues (like me, for example) and plenty of others have loads of them...

On topic!
I like Half-life1/2, cs/cz/css, UT2004, Quake4, Halo.. 'bout it really.

yea, its a program, made by Valve..but ask most people who play it, and they have no idea who "Valve" is...second, EA is a business, not a "gaming community" such as Valve/Steam. They do not offer programs to build a community based around gaming, they offer games. You can hate them all you want, they are still a business trying to make the most money they can. Probably, you bought a game, liked it a lot, and then THEY discontinued updates or something, and now you're on a tirade to rid the world of business-centered companies.

Also, Steam/Valve has no problems for many people. But I would say about 2/3 or a little less probably, have problems almost everyday. Its the little things that annoy us and cause issue.

Sorry to be off topic, but technically its not. I'm giving my opinion on a gaming platform, so to speak, that has many customer issues and offers many of the games we are talking about. Also, if you don't wanna JUST play online shooters, they DO have MANNNNNYY first-person shooters that are just for gameplay, not online, and several other games all at reduced prices you can download through them, which seem to have no trouble.

I personally dont have a problem with steam...though i am now a "hardcore gamer" I do play for a couple hours a week...and have had CS and other for a couple years now and still no issues...

but then again like I said I dont play THAT often...

jbranum said:
Probably, you bought a game, liked it a lot, and then THEY discontinued updates or something, and now you're on a tirade to rid the world of business-centered companies.
Haha, no no no.
I never bought any EA games (most of them suck if you ask me.. though i might get BF2142..)

I hate EA because they buy out many game companies, often destroying franchises (aka, making horrible games)

I can respect people trying to make a living.. but really, they've gone too far.

Vivendi makes millions off of blizzard's WoW, so what does EA do? buy Mythic, and rename it to EA Mythic.. though, perhaps like the BF series, EA has to let some real work be put into an mmorpg if they expect to make any real revenue off of it.. so maybe something good could come from this new company.. maybe.

Call of Duty 1 and 2 (Both similar online), America's Army are my favourites. I'm actually working on an online shooter with my team, don't know how fun it will turn out but keep your ears peeled for that one: www.conflict-online.co.nr

-Rhys

Best online goes to CounterStrike Source, but other games that follow behind them that are also worth mentioning are: Unreal Tournament (any version), Quake 4, Doom 3.

jbranum said:
yea, its a program, made by Valve..but ask most people who play it, and they have no idea who "Valve" is...second, EA is a business, not a "gaming community" such as Valve/Steam. They do not offer programs to build a community based around gaming, they offer games. You can hate them all you want, they are still a business trying to make the most money they can. Probably, you bought a game, liked it a lot, and then THEY discontinued updates or something, and now you're on a tirade to rid the world of business-centered companies.

Also, Steam/Valve has no problems for many people. But I would say about 2/3 or a little less probably, have problems almost everyday. Its the little things that annoy us and cause issue.

Sorry to be off topic, but technically its not. I'm giving my opinion on a gaming platform, so to speak, that has many customer issues and offers many of the games we are talking about. Also, if you don't wanna JUST play online shooters, they DO have MANNNNNYY first-person shooters that are just for gameplay, not online, and several other games all at reduced prices you can download through them, which seem to have no trouble.

VALVe is also a business centered around games, just like EA. The only difference is that all their games are first-party. All they do is hire those who they think have ideas that can bring in money. Counter-Strike was a mod from Half-Life and the two guys who created it got hired by VALVe. Team Fortress was also a mod based on Quake and the three creators got hired by VALVe. Day of Defeat was also another third-party mod and the team that created it joined VALVe as well. The only first-party game VALVe ever created was the Half-Life series, all the other games were third-party mods that got the attention of VALVe and they were hired as part of the VALVe staff. Look at VALVe's upcoming Portal...it was the Senior game project for a group of students at the DigiPen Institute of Technology (it was originally a freeware game called Narbacular Drop). When VALVe employees saw their game at DigiPen's annual student expo, they were literally hired on the spot.

That's what VALVe does. They see things that have great gaming concepts that can potentially be a cash cow, they hire the team and embrace the game, trying to improve it.

What EA does is exactly the opposite. When a small developer needs publishing and funding, EA has their hands open, but when they find that developer has something very creative and original, within a game release, they're sold out. EA just buys them out completely. What's even worse is that EA totally ruins great franchises by releasing pointless expansion packs and crappy-ass patches. Look at DICE and the Battlefield series. Before EA bought out DICE, Battlefield 1942 was AWESOME, then once they were bought, the series literally went into a nose dive in terms of quality. Same with their own first-party franchises like Need for Speed. What's the difference between Most Wanted and Carbon? Carbon just places more emphasis on drifting and less on cop chases. The graphics engine is the same, maybe a few tweaked textures here and there, but the game as a whole is either the same or worse. All they do is charge you more.

When EA bought out Westwood Studios, the Command & Conquer series literally died. Generals and Zero Hour SUCKED! Hands down sucked. The plot was complete crap, almost nonexistent, and the voice acting was decent at best. I see a glimmer of hope with C&C 3 Tiberium Wars, but I have a feeling that'll be killed too. :( A good example is Crytek. When FarCry came out, it was known to push a PC to it's limits and it's gameplay was almost revolutionary (sandbox gameplay and high distance viewing). Ubisoft was the publisher then, but for some reason they decided to drop Ubi and go with EA. Now that Crysis is coming around, theres rumors that EA might even aquire Crytek. Such a shame...

On a somewhat related note, Crysis has been delayed. No official word on how long, but all that's been released is that the game has been delayed. :(

About Steam, I've never had a problem with it. There might be times where it takes a bit for updates to update or whatnot, but it generally works fine as an online-distrobution software.

MikeReiner said:
Doom3 was... interesting. The multi player didn't click for me at all though.

Yeah, Doom 3 was okay. It was fun for the first half, but after a while the characters lost their bite. It's so predictable to see where some Zombie or Imp was going to pop out. I tried the multiplayer once and I never did it again. :p

Back
Top Bottom