Problems with cd/dvd drives

jbranum

Baseband Member
I bought and built a new system last week. e6300 chip and an Asus P5N-SLI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131032 board. I am running a 250gig hd SATA and then a dvd-rom drive on the primary IDE output.

The problem arises when, using the same ide cable, i hook up at second cd-rom drive and then boot the system. It slow boots and then when the windows load screen happens, the computer loads and then locks up and won't do anything until i reboot without the drive connected

I am using windows XP pro 32bit, and with a former computer, had no trouble using multiple cd/dvd drives and just hooking them up accordingly. I made sure that the "cable select" jumper was selected and saw no other issues. The bios doesnt seem to show anything either. Any options?

Let me get this straight... is your second CD-Rom Drive on the secondary or primary IDE Controller? You may have a similar problem to myself.

-Rhys

I have both of the drives, a cd and DVD drive on the same ide cable coming from the Primary IDE connector on the mobo. I also tried booting with just the CD drive, no dvd drive attached. That works fine. Add in the DVD player, no boot.

Try changing the jumpers from cable select to master/slave config, it shouldn't really matter but could be worth a try. It sounds like a conflict to do with jumpers.

If the drive on the end of the cable is set to master and the drive on the centre plug is set to CS then it will be trying to load two masters.

Have you tried the DVD on its own? does that work? If it doesnt then ya possibly got a faulty DVD drive, which can cause them not to show

no, thats what I'm saying. I've hooked both the CD and DVD drive up to the computer, on the last ide spot, and booted normally. With EITHER drive hooked up, and then adding the opposing drive to the middle IDE spot of the cable, the computer locks up on reboot.

Its confusing as hell. I tried messing with the jumpers, and both are set to cable select. ALso, moving the ide cable to the "secondary" ide slot of the mobo, will that affect it?

Back
Top Bottom