My New $100 Thermaltake , Runs Hotter than my $20 Raidmax...

LambOfGod said:
Did you read my last post??

i moved them all up and it dropped my temps back down, overall i am not super impressed with the case design, i think They should make a case that can help cool the vidcard more, all the while cooling the HDs as well.

what about looking into a HD fan..I got one off of tigerdirect and its not all bad...I dont know how much it is actually doing though seenig as how i never measured HD temps before I got the fan...

LoG ... I realize you probably will prefer not to read something from me, so take it with a grain of salt.

If the RaidMax case you used prior is what Im thinking it is, the front vents weren't covered by a door ... just the cd drives. Correct? By the looks of the pics of your new case, could the door covering the front vents be restricting your airflow? Those slits don't look to be very big to begin with, compared to the RaidMax's I'm familiar with. Have you noticed differences in temps when the door is open compared to closed? It is a shame you're dealing with temp issues since you're trying to upgrade your case. :(

Another thought ... have you confirmed the fans with the case are directing airflow in the right direction? One time I had a case come with 2 front fans ... each in opposite directions.

I realize these are simple suggestions and probably have been covered by you, but sometimes it's the simple things we skip over.

Getting more powerful fans will help your situation. If the intake holes are as small as I think they are, getting a high power fan will suck more air in, but, with this comes noise. Especially with a bad make of fan.

I'd definetly replace the fans though with better models that may even be more efficent at cooling, yet possibly quieter. There are alot of good 120mm models out there.

EDIT:

Though all people seem to be comenting on how good and cool it keeps components, which leads me to thinking it may be a fan. Are they all running, and at the speeds they are capable of?

Also, yeah, check the way they are facing like CrossCech says.
Sometimes switching them the opposite way tahn intended can cool the system alot more.

My case for example had the front 120mm fan blowing in air, and the 2 80mm fans blowing out air. I switched this so the 120mm was blowing out at the front, and the 2 80mm's blowing in and the temps dropped by alot! And I mean, ALOT.

Your temps suck because ThermalTake sucks. They bite off other companies and they come up with the most gimmicky things ever.

I was under the impression that ThermalTake was a good case company...

Kage said:
Getting more powerful fans will help your situation. If the intake holes are as small as I think they are, getting a high power fan will suck more air in, but, with this comes noise. Especially with a bad make of fan.

I'd definetly replace the fans though with better models that may even be more efficent at cooling, yet possibly quieter. There are alot of good 120mm models out there.

EDIT:

Though all people seem to be comenting on how good and cool it keeps components, which leads me to thinking it may be a fan. Are they all running, and at the speeds they are capable of?

Also, yeah, check the way they are facing like CrossCech says.
Sometimes switching them the opposite way tahn intended can cool the system alot more.

My case for example had the front 120mm fan blowing in air, and the 2 80mm fans blowing out air. I switched this so the 120mm was blowing out at the front, and the 2 80mm's blowing in and the temps dropped by alot! And I mean, ALOT.

Thats kinda a pain in the ass, i mean i totally understand, but you would think that a genuine thermaltake case and genuine thermaltake fans, would outperform a generic raidmax case with geniric no name 80mm.

but anyway.

1. I have not yet entered the BIOS to check the system fans speed, and if i have the ability to ajust the speed i will tonight.

2. I have checked 2 of the 3 fans/ The side 90MM is blowing in/ The exhaust 120MM (underneath the PSU) is blowing out.

(I have not checked the intake fan *sits in front of the HDDs* (front of the case) I will check that also when i get home.

I am interested in your theroy of switching the fans around, its somthing that i have not tried.

I usually stick with the general idea of having air flowing from the front to the back of the case.

As the powersupply sucks air from the bottom and blows it out the back, i also have my system fans following that order.

And the other thing that bothers me about your setup is that, the front intake fan blows over the videocard, which is the only overclocked component in my system that requires the most cooling.

CrossCech said:
LoG ... I realize you probably will prefer not to read something from me, so take it with a grain of salt.

If the RaidMax case you used prior is what Im thinking it is, the front vents weren't covered by a door ... just the cd drives. Correct? By the looks of the pics of your new case, could the door covering the front vents be restricting your airflow? Those slits don't look to be very big to begin with, compared to the RaidMax's I'm familiar with. Have you noticed differences in temps when the door is open compared to closed? It is a shame you're dealing with temp issues since you're trying to upgrade your case. :(

Another thought ... have you confirmed the fans with the case are directing airflow in the right direction? One time I had a case come with 2 front fans ... each in opposite directions.

I realize these are simple suggestions and probably have been covered by you, but sometimes it's the simple things we skip over.

First off i appreciate the reply bro :D

I guess i just assumed that the thermaltake fans would be positioned correctly from the factory.

And i checked 2 of the three fans and am about 99.9% sure that the 120MM in the front is blowing in. Like i said i will confirm this when i get home.

And you are right about the raidmax, not having a door. and i will also check to see if i open it if it will stay down :)

Thanks

Kage said:

I think they are a good company.

I whoulda got the thermaltake armor.. with the 25CM side air fan.

Thats my only regret.

Maybe if i get the chance i can sell this one to my friend for his build and get the Armor for myself

Kage said:

Probably the Armor series is the only good one. Other than that...no thank you.

I have a case which i think is a copy of a AeroCool make, made by Icute...

Anyhow, its an alright case, not brilliant, but its keeping my components rather cool.

I'm going to make a modification to it myself mind. It has a side window, but I'm going to cut a 120mm fan hole there, so that it'll have an extra fan blowing out, or in... depends which cools it more.

Customisation is always good!

Back
Top Bottom