Hi, a newbie to computer building here

MerrikHarts

Beta member
I'm looking into building my first computer and would like some input on the decisions I am considering as well as components I am unsure of.

What I am considering so far:
GPU - Nvidia 7950 GT video card - $260
CPU - Intel Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4 GHZ - $310
HD - Western Digital Caviar 7200rpm SE16 250GB - $80
RAM - Kingston Valueram 2GB 240pin DDR2 PC2 (4200) - $210
PSU - Thermaltake w0093RU 500w $80

I need suggestions for:
Motherboard that will support all of the above
Computer Case
Fans/Other Cooling System
Specific Makers for my GPU or other parts

Lastly, thank you in advance for helping out a newbie. If you have any ideas on things I've missed, you think I should change, ect. please feel free to to drop your 2 cents.

1. I would go for an Asus P5B, excellent board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131070

2. Depends on how much you want to spend and what you want. I'd recommend something by one of the following brands:
- Thermaltake
- Lian-Li
- Cooler Master
- Silverstone
- Antec

3. Some basic 120mm or 80mm fans would be fine, many good cases actually come with fans. If you want, you can buy a fan that fits into a PCI slot and will blow air out of the back of the case. You'll also need a heatsink for your CPU. Unless you're going to overclock, the stock one should be fine.

4. The brand doesn't really matter for the GPUs, whatever you can get a good deal on should be fine, but here's some quality brands for Nvidia GPUs:
eVGA
XFX
BFG
Sapphire
Gigabyte

that looks like a good build...and the P5B is a great board my friend is using it in his build and its going great for him...

it comes recommended...

Thank you both very much for the input. The case is giving me fits because I'm unsure of exactly what kind of cooling will be required if I decide to overclock or try to put a pair of HDs in RAID 0. I am assuming either of those modifications will cause an excess of heat. That brings me to another question; what sorts of configurations or modifications do require a more exotic cooling solution?

As far as what I'm willing to spend, I'm uncertain since I do not know what the setup I will be trying for will require. I would like to spend around $200 or less but will go more if it is suggested. I assume case choice is directly related to the cooling system that's chosen. What other sorts of features should I look for in a case?

does it offer enough space? Does it offer ease of use concerning HD's, CD-Roms and other extras. How are the fans set up?

On my Antecp180 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129154 there are two intake 120mm fans and two exahaust 120mm fans, that moves the air flow over the gpu, ram and processor, and then out the case. I've so far had GREAT cooling and I dont overclock, so I'm doing great.

Also, look at the quality. Are you wanting to take this case to LAN parties or keep it home all the time? Steel is sturdier if you plan on leaving it home. Aluminum cases, like the Lian-Li's are excellent but costly. Even though they are aluminum, they are pretty sturdy, that also just depnds on the case.

Also, get on newegg and read reviews...you can pretty well figure out if the case is good or not from the hundreds of other reviews. People don't lie on those things, more often than not, so its a good barometer of what to get.

Lastly, get a case that you like. Don't get something solely cause it's good and reviews nice. If you dont like the way it looks, dont get it. I didnt want a case with a window on the side, or that had hundreds of lights and flashy things, so I went with the p180, as I couldnt afford a Lian-Li...

i Like the P 180

But also take a look at this thing, it is the best cooling for the money

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133021

And two other suggestions i have for you is change your video card.

This 1950XT is $10 Cheaper and is faster/better than the Card u picked

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102067

And this hard drive is the same price and capacity, it is Faster and has a better warranty

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148144

LambOfGod said:
i Like the P 180

But also take a look at this thing, it is the best cooling for the money

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133021

And two other suggestions i have for you is change your video card.

This 1950XT is $10 Cheaper and is faster/better than the Card u picked

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102067

And this hard drive is the same price and capacity, it is Faster and has a better warranty

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148144

That case you posted was one of the ones I was considering. I don't think I'll be going to many LAN parties, so I don't have to worry about moving it much. Some other cases I've seen look great but have too many palstic parts for my liking. I understand about a plastic side window, but plastic doors and hinges seem to simply be a lack of quality. Lian-Li has what appear to be some very nice cases but are pretty highly priced.

I've taken lots of time to read reviews of various cases but they don't really help because everyone needs something different. My problem is I honestly do not know what I need and I don't know how to figure out what I need. It's something that comes with experience I imagine; I just don't want that experience to come from costly mistakes I can't afford to fix.

I shall have to do an in deapth comparison of the two video cards, as that is one of the most important parts of my build. As to the HD, I picked Western Digital because it seemed the preference from a great many computer enthusiasts. If you would please, tell me how the WD and Seagate HD's stack up to eachother in quality? The longer warrenty is reallly nice, so that is a plus. Also, if I'm going to set up in raid 0, I need two equal sized HD's of the same speed and make, or can it be any two HD's that can be configured for RAID 0? If I do decide on a RAID 0 config. I'll find myself a guid to tell me how to set it all up instead of bothering you good folks for a repost.

Thanks again, everyone who posted, this is exactly the sort of information I need. I don't want to buy 1500 dollars worth of parts only to realize I've made a huge mistake somewhere.

MerrikHarts said:
That case you posted was one of the ones I was considering. I don't think I'll be going to many LAN parties, so I don't have to worry about moving it much. Some other cases I've seen look great but have too many palstic parts for my liking. I understand about a plastic side window, but plastic doors and hinges seem to simply be a lack of quality. Lian-Li has what appear to be some very nice cases but are pretty highly priced.

I've taken lots of time to read reviews of various cases but they don't really help because everyone needs something different. My problem is I honestly do not know what I need and I don't know how to figure out what I need. It's something that comes with experience I imagine; I just don't want that experience to come from costly mistakes I can't afford to fix.

I shall have to do an in deapth comparison of the two video cards, as that is one of the most important parts of my build. As to the HD, I picked Western Digital because it seemed the preference from a great many computer enthusiasts. If you would please, tell me how the WD and Seagate HD's stack up to eachother in quality? The longer warrenty is reallly nice, so that is a plus. Also, if I'm going to set up in raid 0, I need two equal sized HD's of the same speed and make, or can it be any two HD's that can be configured for RAID 0? If I do decide on a RAID 0 config. I'll find myself a guid to tell me how to set it all up instead of bothering you good folks for a repost.

Thanks again, everyone who posted, this is exactly the sort of information I need. I don't want to buy 1500 dollars worth of parts only to realize I've made a huge mistake somewhere.

I am glad you were looking into that case.

And look into the videocards, and repost your findings.

Of coarse let us know what you end up going with, as far as raid 0

You will need the same/make/model HD.

there has been quite a bit of praise for those segate 7200.10 Drives lately. And from what i have head and seen i n bench reviews/and tests they are the top performing 7200RPM drive you can get.

Plus seagate is a GREAT company, they are known for making long lasting dependable server drives.

In my home system i use 3 Western digital drives, but i would definetly give Seagate a shot. not to mention the great warranty

As for a computer case, I'd recommend the Centurion from Cooler Master, otherwise, the P180.
for the cooling, a good airflow is usually the optimal way to actually keep it cool.

When you buy a case, take a look inside to see what type of fans they tae. Usually, they are 80mm but the P180 has the 120mm fans inside. So, all fan slots should be filled. Air comes in from the front and out from the back. It's the optimal way. For side fans, they must suck in the air.

Back
Top Bottom