MY PC Wont Read OS

Chances are that ya disc is faulty, ya have already said its a backup. Can ya get hold of another off a friend?

I'm trying really hard to get a hold on an official CD. I lost mine when I moved from Florida so I'm using a backup my nephew made for me.

Alright let me see if I can clarify some things for you guys:

The PC boots up, reads the CD and then gives me that error message.

Question, If the CD Rom drive doesn't show up on the Bios screen, it wouldn't read the CD correct?

I ask this because the CD does boot up but the drive does NOT show up at the bios screen.

I really appreciate all you guys' help!

Thats strange, the pc shouldnt boot from the CD if the BIOS cant see it. At that stage the BIOS is controlling the pc components, so if it isnt registering the drive, then it shouldnt be to run the drive. Are you looking in the correct place in the BIOS? Its usually the first page. Can you explain your CD and HDD connections to me. Whats the exact error your getting?

have you checked all the connections on the drive

unplug the ide cable and power then plug them back in just to make sure.
but yes its strange that the cd boots but is not recognized in the bios.

raffaz:

Ok, I turn the computer on and here's what I get:

Setup is being restarted:

Installing Windows:

39 Minutes to completion

Then I get:

Fatal Error:
An Error has encountered that prevents setup from continuing.

Setup failed to install the product catalogs.
This is a fatal error. The Setup log files should contain more information.

C:\Windows\setuperrlog

Setup could not register the OLE control C:\Windows\System32\initpki.dll
because of the following error:
DllRegisterServer returned error 3221225478(c0000006)

Error:
The signature for Windows XP Home Edition Setup is invalid.
The error code is 6ba. The RPC server is unavailable.

These are my connections:

IDE Cable from CPU Board directly to HD
P4 Power Cable Connected

IDE Cable from CPU Board directly to CD ROM
P2 Power Cable Connected

I guess thats it?

It sounds to me like your not doing a clean install. Seems like your restarting a previous failed install. At any point does it say "press a key to boot from CD". If your not getting that then your not booting from your CD. Have you got the boot order set to boot from CD first?

Actually, now that you say that. When I remove the CD from the computer and turn it on, It takes me directly to the Windows installation menu in which it asks me to insert the CD to continue the installation.

I think I know how to get my PC to boot from the CD but can you clarify it for me?

Now I think I have tried to get it to boot from the CD and it takes me back into the actually format screen... and asks me if I want to leave windows alone, delete a partition and creat a new one or repair a partition.

UPDATE:

I got it to boot from the CD and I chose to repair the previous windows installation. It went through it and restarted the PC and now I get this:

STOP: c0000221{Bad Image Checksum}

The image checksum is possibly corrupt.
The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

What in the world did I do wrong?

Nevermind all that. I actually had to end up reformatting the computer deleting the existing partitions and went through with it.

Windows then began to install and viola! it actually worked...:-}

The computers running fine now and I had a little trouble with activating windows but I figured it out. Now I gotta figure out how to get my DVD Rom & Burner working at the same time...lol

Thanks so much guys, I really do appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom