Teen responsible for stealing PS3's shot dead

alvino said:
You can't really complain about that, because if you expected them to have more available, they probably would've delayed the entire launch until 2007. The PS3 has a lot of hardware and it takes lots of work to manufacture them. The Cell processor is already getting low enough yields as it is. It's not like the Nintendo Wii where the parts are designed to be high yield and mass produced, which is why Nintendo was able to get so many Wii's into stores for launch.
yes, you can complain about that...

Xbox managed to release world wide, yes, there were a few shortages, but Sony can't even release in North america without tragically low stocks and associated I want so I take type mentality attached to it.

Sony (corp) should face criminal charges over the things that have happened, just as I would be facing criminal charges if I incited riotous behavior.

Sony, (and all the shops) knew full well what would happen with their pathetically low stocks hitting the shelves.

besides which I truely doubt that the yields are that low else it wouldn't be profitable,

sony are just creating hype by limiting stocks to make people want it more. and the effect is that people want it so much that people are getting killed over it.

people are being killed so that Sony can make a little more money with a stupid PR stunt.

as for nintendo...
yes the Wii is massproduced, (although so is the PS3!)
the Wii uses prooven technology that's how it's able to create stocks to fill demand, and able to cost less, yet through all of it's costing less using slight older prooven technology, it's still able to look a whole heap better than the playstation...

it's cheaper, but looks beter, (sleek white box v's horribly mishaped box meets convex curves accident of a design).
it's got older technology inside (technically), yet still manages to appear more technologically advanced than the PS3, (motivion activated position aware controllers v.s gamepad with buttons).

nintendo can also manage to realse a product worldwide, within a reasonable time of the first launch...
america gets wii, two weeks later Japan gets it, a week later britain gets it... with no shortages of stock in sight...

that is how you do a world wide release, you get a good product on the shelves. lots of people buy it, lots of people use it...

PS3 has been delayed for around a year now.. and the UK still won't get it till march...

Sony sucks.

alvino said:
You can't really complain about that, because if you expected them to have more available, they probably would've delayed the entire launch until 2007. The PS3 has a lot of hardware and it takes lots of work to manufacture them. The Cell processor is already getting low enough yields as it is. It's not like the Nintendo Wii where the parts are designed to be high yield and mass produced, which is why Nintendo was able to get so many Wii's into stores for launch.
So? Then delay it till 2007, it's already been delayed a few times anyway. Launch it when you have sufficient stock to provide stores with a decent amount of them.

....Anything for Christmas sales....:rolleyes:

livemc said:
He got whats coming to him. All thieves should get shot.

EDIT: Thats one less bad person in the world. Think about it that way.

Yeah he stole a PS3 but was the police sure it was him thats sad that he shot him.. No one has the right to die especially for that type of crime.

root said:
yes, you can complain about that...

Xbox managed to release world wide, yes, there were a few shortages, but Sony can't even release in North america without tragically low stocks and associated I want so I take type mentality attached to it.

Sony (corp) should face criminal charges over the things that have happened, just as I would be facing criminal charges if I incited riotous behavior.

Sony, (and all the shops) knew full well what would happen with their pathetically low stocks hitting the shelves.

besides which I truely doubt that the yields are that low else it wouldn't be profitable,

sony are just creating hype by limiting stocks to make people want it more. and the effect is that people want it so much that people are getting killed over it.

people are being killed so that Sony can make a little more money with a stupid PR stunt.

as for nintendo...
yes the Wii is massproduced, (although so is the PS3!)
the Wii uses prooven technology that's how it's able to create stocks to fill demand, and able to cost less, yet through all of it's costing less using slight older prooven technology, it's still able to look a whole heap better than the playstation...

it's cheaper, but looks beter, (sleek white box v's horribly mishaped box meets convex curves accident of a design).
it's got older technology inside (technically), yet still manages to appear more technologically advanced than the PS3, (motivion activated position aware controllers v.s gamepad with buttons).

nintendo can also manage to realse a product worldwide, within a reasonable time of the first launch...
america gets wii, two weeks later Japan gets it, a week later britain gets it... with no shortages of stock in sight...

that is how you do a world wide release, you get a good product on the shelves. lots of people buy it, lots of people use it...

PS3 has been delayed for around a year now.. and the UK still won't get it till march...

Sony sucks.

Yeah, that's why I said I don't respect Sony anymore. They can't even properly launch their own product and fess up to it if things go sour. Just recently did they acknowledge their slow response in the exploding battery issue. They didn't even plan out how things should've gone out at launch. No guidelines or anything to any of the stores.

Actually, the Cell processor is VERY hard to get high yields. The architecture is so complex that even IBM has admitted they're not getting high enough yields for Cell processors that still have 7 of the SPE cores that are required for PS3 manufacturing. The reason why the Wii has so many units is because the hardware is designed to be high-yield and mass produced. The CPU is based on existing PowerPC technology using the 90nm SOI process. IBM didn't have to do much in order to get them rolling of the manufacturing line. The same goes with the ATI "Hollywood" GPU. It's essentially an overclocked GameCube with Xbox graphics.

As for which one looks better, it's all down to preference. If you ask me, the PS3 looks like a damn grill. The Wii is pretty nice considering the size, but both still look nice for next-gen consoles.

The Wii's controls are innovative, as for technologically superior, the PS3's hardware is far more superior to what the Wii has. Blu-Ray, Cell, RSX, XDR RAM...those are all very expensive high-end components. In terms of the whole Wii Remote vs. Gamepad debate, it's down to preference and what game you're playing. Some games like Zelda play very nicely with the Wii Remote, but for games like shooters (i.e. Red Steel) I would rather use a gamepad.

As for the delays, you can thank the Blu-Ray drive for that. They've been having so many problem with the laser diodes that read the content. The PS3 is so chock-full of high-end hardware that manufacturing does take more time than the Wii. As for what happened during the PS3 launch week, Sony simply didn't take responsibility as a company. They just shipped it out and let things go into chaos. What they should've done was told each store what to do. They don't follow the rules, they don't get PS3 shipments. Period.

I'm still sceptical about the low yields...

firstly, it's not economically viable to put a product on the market that has very low yields, that's why 9/10 products don't get to the market that have low yields...
secondly, I've been reliably informed, that there was a (several) PS3's available at the first release date, as these were sent out to review at games press places.

we all know that it was Blu-Ray that slowed down PS3 launch, and that was to do with reliability.

Got to laugh though...
IBM are fouling up yet another line of products... (though to be fair the cell processor was developed with IBM and Sony!.

shall we take bets on whether IBMs ineptitude looses then another high brand name customer???

Personally, I honestly envisage that for some game there is going to be a stock attachment that turns that simple remote control into a rifle, I've always loved those TV laser guns, (ever since my first console, which was called a grandstand... (which I still have, and the last time I played it was in 2001/2 whilst I was at uni... -I still have box and manual, is that sad? the thing is like from the 70's, and was my parents before it was mine!)

anyway, (digression), the WII remote could be a gun, which , (IMO) would still knock the socks off any controller,
the whole point of that remote is that anything you can hold.
(fishing rod, golf club, steering wheel, slight stick, gun etc...) you can hold the control in that way and it opperates as such...

IMO that's still better than a controller...

I have to admit that I'm thinking of camping outside of a shop today till the wii hours (see what I did there), so that I can get one of these consoles...

root said:
I'm still sceptical about the low yields...

firstly, it's not economically viable to put a product on the market that has very low yields, that's why 9/10 products don't get to the market that have low yields...
secondly, I've been reliably informed, that there was a (several) PS3's available at the first release date, as these were sent out to review at games press places.

we all know that it was Blu-Ray that slowed down PS3 launch, and that was to do with reliability.

Got to laugh though...
IBM are fouling up yet another line of products... (though to be fair the cell processor was developed with IBM and Sony!.

shall we take bets on whether IBMs ineptitude looses then another high brand name customer???

Personally, I honestly envisage that for some game there is going to be a stock attachment that turns that simple remote control into a rifle, I've always loved those TV laser guns, (ever since my first console, which was called a grandstand... (which I still have, and the last time I played it was in 2001/2 whilst I was at uni... -I still have box and manual, is that sad? the thing is like from the 70's, and was my parents before it was mine!)

anyway, (digression), the WII remote could be a gun, which , (IMO) would still knock the socks off any controller,
the whole point of that remote is that anything you can hold.
(fishing rod, golf club, steering wheel, slight stick, gun etc...) you can hold the control in that way and it opperates as such...

IMO that's still better than a controller...

I have to admit that I'm thinking of camping outside of a shop today till the wii hours (see what I did there), so that I can get one of these consoles...

Well IBM designed both the CPU for the Wii and the Xbox 360. They didn't have problems with that. The Cell is just so advanced in nature that getting good production yields is low. I guess you can blame Sony for wanting such high-end hardware.

IBM is still a great company if you ask me. They've done a lot through the years and laughing at them getting low yields isn't fair to be exact. Of course, if you knew the Cell's architecture you would understand, but to most it's just a multi-core processor. :rolleyes:

As for the PS3 being giving to media for review, that's what always happens and it always will. Once NDA lifts for a product, the media like Anandtech, Kotaku, Gizmodo, Joystiq etc all get test units to review and play around with. It's like that with computer hardware too.

Wow thats ashame poor kid shot just because of stealing a console! i mean i know its $600 USD,but still
I guess we cant all have enough money like i do I have enough money for the Wii,the XBox 360 and the playstation3 all at once I could buy them

alvino said:
Well IBM designed both the CPU for the Wii and the Xbox 360. They didn't have problems with that. The Cell is just so advanced in nature that getting good production yields is low. I guess you can blame Sony for wanting such high-end hardware.

IBM is still a great company if you ask me. They've done a lot through the years and laughing at them getting low yields isn't fair to be exact. Of course, if you knew the Cell's architecture you would understand, but to most it's just a multi-core processor. :rolleyes:
I understand more about semi conductor fabrication than you give me credit for...
but they were making cell processors a year ago.
the process is 90nm track width, which is wider than the 60nm process that IBM are currently making powerPC chips with.

I realise that the Cell architecture is complex, but in terms of the machines that are making it, it's just another template to be etched.

all in all, after the PS3 was dumbed and slowed down following delay after delay after delay, it's barely the same system that was promised, still at the original price tag, and still with the same manfacturing problems...

alvino said:
As for the PS3 being giving to media for review, that's what always happens and it always will. Once NDA lifts for a product, the media like Anandtech, Kotaku, Gizmodo, Joystiq etc all get test units to review and play around with. It's like that with computer hardware too.
What I meant is that the console was ready for production around a year ago, in fact was being produced around a year ago, and couldn't be released then because of problems with yields.

as Tommyboy said, if they couldn't produce enough to fill the shelves then they should have waited till after christmas when they perhaps could...

I guess the only problem is that the longer the PS3 sat in development the more and more current rather that futuristic the specs got!

boardordi3 said:
Yeah I mean, he made a mistake, he shouldn't die for it, everyone f****s up once in a while, it's part of life
Thanks for editing your own word, if everybody actually thought to do that, it would make a lot of sense.

Back
Top Bottom