Are we living in a time of exploration?

The Sheep said:
I think it would be a little sad that money was put into ways of exploiting other planets, rather than sorting out the mess we have made here.

There are many free sources of power, wind, wave, solar, um what #2 said etc. The trouble is, there is not enough money to be made out of them. Why do you think the majority of cars still use petrol? They are basically running on a technology from 100 years ago. Which the big companies find very profitable.
The problem with alternative energy sources is, either they are so inefficient, or people don't know how to use them correctly, or both. There was a lot of talk over solar energy, until they realized you need huge grids to produce a small amount of energy. Put it over grass and you've killed it. That = more CO2, which in case you didn't know, is considered a pollutant now. Let's get rid of all of it and kill the trees, that would be great.
As far as hydrogen energy is concenred, it's very expensive to extract from water as it uses a lot of electricity. And we get a lot of our power from burning coal, since people think nuclear energy will magically destroy the universe, although it is one of the cleanest sources besides hydroelectric dams. I don't think people would be too keen on tripling gas prices, either...
There was also a problem with the wind turbines. Apparently it kills a lot of birds each year that fly into them and some people had a huge problem with that, so some were shut down. :rolleyes:
I remember when that was called natural selection.

And another thing. Don't you love it when a species is nearing extinction, so they take the few surviving animals, put them in captivity, and make it worse that it was before? I seem to remember a couple of instances when a few near-extinct animals died. That's completely backwards. I realize that some things must be done to protect the environment and animal life, stuff like that, but sometimes I think we go too far.
</rant>

Remember back to the future part II? they envisioned jackets that would dry them selves, cars that would fly, hover boards as opposed to skate boards, all sorts of weird crap.. yet here we are, 2006, and we still rely on pollutant methods to power our vehicles...
what stops us? man it's self.. man and it's greed.

Nik00117 said:
I do. I was at my Great Grandmas house this sunday and she was telling me how her mother would tell her anything is impossible. Because the day before the news of the wright brothers plane hit Germany, her father (my great great great grandpa, told my great great grandma man will never fly)

The next day she learned that a plane had been inveted and it flew.

thats a little different. According to what we know about physics there is nothing that would prevent flying. But according to what we know about physics an object can't go faster than the speed of light.(in a vacuum, without any other forces effecting us) Now even if we were to reach the speed of light, it wouldn't be enough to go to other galaxies.

Nothing is impossible, speed of light travel possible yes it most certinally is, do we know how to do it, nope.

Didn't ensiten mention somthing along this anagloy.

Take a stick, image one end of the stick is one galaxy and the other is another galaxy. Its a very far distance, now bend the stick to where the two points touch each other, now is it so far?

the amount of energy to take two points in the universe and bring them together in one place will take more energy than humanly possible. the ugly fact that very large company's do make profit off today's resources, it' a shame they only seem to care about the almighty dollar.

i'm not saying they won't evenually shift gears and start thinking about different ways to produce energy for very little or even free, but sooner or later push will come to shove and it might be too late by then. the focus of exploring will be up rooted by the way of wars.

Nik00117 said:
Didn't ensiten mention somthing along this anagloy.

Take a stick, image one end of the stick is one galaxy and the other is another galaxy. Its a very far distance, now bend the stick to where the two points touch each other, now is it so far?

that's true, it's called a wormhole. And it's possible, and I also think that they also occur naturally. (not sure about that) But as far as I know we haven't found a single one. And creating something like that, as mr mixx said would take unbelievable amount of energy.

And speed of light travel possible, maybe. But faster? Not according to Einstein or any other scientists. Though there are ways to move faster without actually moving any faster. But all that kind of things + the wormhole thing is so out of our current technologys reach.

"It takes one brilliant man, to change the world"

A person at a speech once said that, I forgot who it was. But there is hope, nothing is impossible.

Back
Top Bottom