Raptor HD's? Worth buying?

clandestinex337

In Runtime
OK, so i have a old 40gig HD thats from like 1998 or something. Its really old, and i want to upgrade it because im starting to loose space with the requirements of the games and stuff comming out now.

SO i was looking at the raptor HD's the 150gig and was woundering are they really worth buying? Can i really tell the differences between something that isnt 10,000 RPM?

Thanks

I recently added a 74GB Raptor as my OS drive replacing a WD 120GB 7200 rpm and you can notice the difference between 7200 and 10K rpm

If your old drive is by chance a 5400rpm, then buckle up ;)

Well --- yes they are faster. But not much, and for the extra money needed... its really not worth it in my opinion. I have a much faster setup for much less money. 2x80gig Samsung spinpoint SATA II drives (£50 for both) running in RAID 0. Job done.

clandestinex337 said:
OK, so i have a old 40gig HD thats from like 1998 or something. Its really old, and i want to upgrade it because im starting to loose space with the requirements of the games and stuff comming out now.

SO i was looking at the raptor HD's the 150gig and was woundering are they really worth buying? Can i really tell the differences between something that isnt 10,000 RPM?

Thanks

I Bought a 74 Gig Raptor V2 (16MB cache, NCQ)

and i love it. Of all the upgrades ive done, this is one of the better ones.

I would probably say your drive is a 5400 RPM drive in which case you will be amazed.

As far as noise, when you transfer large files or run larger apps you can hear it "grinding away" . I like the sound, i like to hear it working.

and it is definetly not too loud. so dont worry about that.

I recommend you buy one, i think it would be a great upgrade for pretty much anyone.

Just got 2 today, il let ya know the speed increase when i set them up

should i get the 74gig or 150gig? I could get two 74gigs raid 0 them or just get 1 150gig and just have 1 until i get enough money to get another

From what I've heard, it's much better to spend money on other components than fast hard drives, and it's almost as good to get a Seagate 7.2K 3.0GB/s SATA drive as a 10K 1.5GB/s Raptor. But it's probably pretty nice. I'm content with my speed right now, couldn't justify spending that much on a hard drive..

If you have the money, yes. You can always find better alternatives for the money though.

Back
Top Bottom