computer making loud noises?

convergecult

In Runtime
ok so my dads old compaq is having some trouble. aupon boot it makes a very loud sorta vibration noise and then it quites down once the pc is loaded but is still very noticible while running. i have dusted all the fans out and the whole pc. any ideas? think it is crappping out?..it is almost 6 years old. i can not really pinpoint where it is comeing from

ok i was thinking it was the hd because about a week ago it i guess partly failed i got a blue screen and when i did a system restore it came back up just fine but i lost about 6 gigs or so...

Can you elaborate on that? Just because you get a BSOD, doesnt mean its ya HDD. Do ya know what the error was?

it was an unbootible_mount_volume error. that just came up randomly all the ide cables and everything were and still are tight and secure

Noises in a PC are one of two things, fans or hard drives, as those are the only two constantly moving parts. Optical drives can be noisy, but they don't do it all the time.

So you either have a bad bearing in a fan, or you have a motor going bad in your hard drive.

hmm ok i guss i will start be replacing the fans if it is the hd he pc is so old i think it is time to get a new one anywho

hey i replaced my back fan and what do you know that was the problem.....but that still does not explain why when i restored my pc i went from an 80 gig to a 70 gig. i know the operating systeym takes up a bit but it use dto show up at around 76 or so but now just 70

4thgradedropout said:
hey i replaced my back fan and what do you know that was the problem.....but that still does not explain why when i restored my pc i went from an 80 gig to a 70 gig. i know the operating systeym takes up a bit but it use dto show up at around 76 or so but now just 70

Have you used that HD before? Maybe this is due to PARTITIONS on the HD?

1. Right click my computer

2. Go to manage

3. go to diskmanagement

Report back what you see here.

We will find out if you have any partitions.

PS are you 100% positive you lost HD space, that sorta thing is not normal, Maybe you just never really looked before?

Back
Top Bottom