Will upgrading Bios from F2 -> F6 improve overclocking?

Max25591

Baseband Member
Hi -
Running Gigabyte ga965pDS4 Mobo with an e6600.

Will upgrading the bios to F6 allow a better overclock?

On Gigabytes web page it says that F2 allows better o/cing... but does not mention it for any of the other Bios (F3,F4,F6)

Anyone got experience with this?

Cheers for your help and time

F1 was the original Bios - but the more recent boards ship with F2 which supports 800Mhz DDR2 and also (they claim) improves overclocking. F6 is the latest Bios. But as they dont say that it does improve overclocking i just wandered if anyone knew if it would help at all. Lots of guides to overclocking say... "get the latest bios" but as gigabyte dont say that F6 improves overclocking... wandered if it is worthwhile at all.

It is specifically for my board... But they dont specify that it helps overclocking. So just wandered if anyone had similar setup and could advise me. Id really like to hear someone say... "of course F2 Bios is rubbish and F6 will help u overclock way more!"

I just dont update my bios for nothing though as im running raid.. and it means a fresh install of XP which lets face it... is frustrating and time consuming. Plus flashing bios does carry some risks... even with dual bios.

Sorry if i wasnt more clear earlier

Max2559 said:
Id really like to hear someone say... "of course F2 Bios is rubbish and F6 will help u overclock way more!"

Well the best that I can give is that it might improve overclockability depending on what changes it provides. Most changes include support for new processors, adjustments to improve stability or correct instability issues, sometimes tweaks with voltage(which might help some with overclocking). The stability might also help depending on what it focuses on. My recommendation to you is even if flashing an updated BIOS does not help with overclocking it is still best to do it anyway just for the updated features it provides.

I heard F8I is the most recent BIOS. If fixed a lot of problems that a lot of people were having, but not its not associated with overclocking ;)

Well i would say if it aint broke dont try to fix it. Only do a BIOS update if absolutely necessary, like compatability problems etc. Any performance upgrade from this would be minimal

Back
Top Bottom