parents...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not taking sides here, but I beleive you are considered "gay" or "straight" at birth.

Im not sure how or why, but I recall hearing that somewhere...

ArrizX said:
Im not taking sides here, but I beleive you are considered "gay" or "straight" at birth.

Im not sure how or why, but I recall hearing that somewhere...

It's something thats agreed on by almost all people that are not right wing nuts.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Could you care to explain how the fuck something like this works?

If you could explain to me why the hell I would choose to be gay and go thru years of my life in depression, drinking, suicidal thoughts and drugs, feel free to explain this to me.

Calm down man.

I just think that everything in life is a choice... appart from what I said above. I mean, it's not like you realise you're gay until a certain age. And maybe it is decided at birth, but you don't know that until later on. But when you've got scars on your stomache, below your left shoulder, can't throw up, are confined in an oxygen like tank for however many hours a day (at least from what I can remember when I was like 0-1), and tube-fed upto about 7 years old, (I tell people it's a bullet wound, lol) among other things, then yes, you know you're different to everyone else, from birth (or at least a lot earlier than you can tell about your sexual preferemce). I used to know a guy who's gay, but you wouldn't pick it, he talks normal and has a well rounded physique. And he didn't use to be gay. Only one day he realised that he liked guys, whether it was a choice or not, I don't know. But he definetly hasn't been gay all his life.

I'm actually just thinking that these are two complete seperate issues. But I do know how it feels to be treated differently by some people so I know how you feel there.

Bottom line, there's no black and white here. Maybe some people's sexual preference is decided at births and others are not. But it my mind it's a choice, and I'll leave it at that.

Sorry if I offended you by the way.

Toby said:
And he didn't use to be gay. Only one day he realised that he liked guys...

That's impossible. Once a someone finishes puberty, their sexual orientation is set for life.

Either you've got the details wrong, or your friend was a repressed homosexual/bisexual.

Denier-of-Soup said:
That's impossible. Once a someone finishes puberty, their sexual orientation is set for life.

Either you've got the details wrong, or your friend was a repressed homosexual/bisexual.

Yeah, well, the bottom one then. Still don't see how it's impossible...

But you know, each to their own.

I'm in the second year of my B Sc in Psychology, so trust me when I say it's not possible.

It is possible, however, to switch from homosexuality to heterosexuality if the patient is willing to undergo therapy. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with genetics.

Toby said:
That's because it is a choice.

Now it's true that somethings in life we cannot choose... Like say if you had complications when you were born. And for the record, people with physical or mental complications are harrased and picked on too. Speaking from personal experience here (at least from the physical side of things).

But sexual preference, yeah, you can definalty choose. It's not like you're born being gay or straight.

In a less angry approach (no blame though) I disagree.

MikeReiner said:
In a less angry approach (no blame though) I disagree.

Man, I'm getting killed here... Still not going to change my view though. I'll think the way that I do until I die and no one can change that. I mean, people can try, but it wont work.

As for you disagreeing that's fair enough. Like I said, each to their own. We all have different views about things.

I guess I'll put it this way, I see sexual preference as more of a mental thing, which can be changed. Where as if you have a physical disability/complication/impairment... not so easy, or near impossible to change.

Toby > Everyone else

Better?

Haha, just kidding. But I am going to have to say that Toby serves some good points..

However there have been other good points make too.

Safe to assume it varies per person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom