Second Hard drive problems..

Moloko

Beta member
I have recently installed a new hard drive due to windows being corrupted on my old one. I installed a new copy of windows and currently have my new drive set as Master. I have this drive plugged in with an PATA cable.

I also have my old drive plugged in via the SATA cable and I tried setting it as the slave drive. However, the bios will not detect it whilst my Master drive is plugged in. The old drive is detectable by the bios only when it is plugged in without the master drive!

I have valuable data on my old drive which I do not wish to loose. Is there any way I can retrieve the data on my old Hard Drive?

Any help given would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have had a similar problem I have 2 drives the master was the original on the computer,before it would detect it in bios but now it doesen't.However It will recognize it when I go to My Computer and I have acess to all the files on it. Why is it there but not recognized by BIOS?

ace, so you having a problem with that? Is it possible to have 2 hd w/o slave/master, is this possible?
Or is c: the master?, f: slave?

Moloko said:
I have recently installed a new hard drive due to windows being corrupted on my old one. I installed a new copy of windows and currently have my new drive set as Master. I have this drive plugged in with an PATA cable.

I also have my old drive plugged in via the SATA cable and I tried setting it as the slave drive. However, the bios will not detect it whilst my Master drive is plugged in. The old drive is detectable by the bios only when it is plugged in without the master drive!

I have valuable data on my old drive which I do not wish to loose. Is there any way I can retrieve the data on my old Hard Drive?

Any help given would be appreciated. Thanks!

SATA does not follow a Slave / Master system :S

I think you moved jumpers that tell the hard drive what speed of interface it's using or somethign simmilar.

The connector you plug your SATA drive into on the mobo determines ya primary, secondary etc. They will be labelled on the mobo

ace777 said:
I have had a similar problem I have 2 drives the master was the original on the computer,before it would detect it in bios but now it doesen't.However It will recognize it when I go to My Computer and I have acess to all the files on it. Why is it there but not recognized by BIOS?

Have a look in computer management and see if the drive is there, and what the status of the drive is

Ok. Thanks for the input everyone. It turned out the solution was rather simple. I had not installed the correct RAID driver. After installing the driver the drive was recognized and I could start using it again (well sort of... the hard drive was corrupt :( ).
Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom