Bandwidth Problem

jimboclaire

Solid State Member
I have a slight problem, my modem is taking up 75% of my bandwidth, my computer needs 24% thus leaving 1% for my webcam. I was told that in order to correct this problem i would need a self powered USB hub. I have now got a self powered hub and the problem still exists. Can anyone make another suggestion. If i disconnect my modem, get the camera working then reconect my modem this works, but i was hoping for a more simpler solution rather than a mundane resolution.

jimboclaire said:
I have a slight problem, my modem is taking up 75% of my bandwidth, my computer needs 24% thus leaving 1% for my webcam. I was told that in order to correct this problem i would need a self powered USB hub. I have now got a self powered hub and the problem still exists. Can anyone make another suggestion. If i disconnect my modem, get the camera working then reconect my modem this works, but i was hoping for a more simpler solution rather than a mundane resolution.

are you refering to internet bandwith because it almost doesnt seem like you are...I am slightly confused...if you can clarify maybe we can more easly help you...

kjman87, Being not to clever in that area, all that is happening is that when i have my modem connected to a usb port and i try to use my camera i get a message balloon saying their is a bandwidth problem, if you want to use that device(webcam) remove another device? I don't understand it and really i don't suppose you do, or do you?

jimboclaire said:
kjman87, Being not to clever in that area, all that is happening is that when i have my modem connected to a usb port and i try to use my camera i get a message balloon saying their is a bandwidth problem, if you want to use that device(webcam) remove another device? I don't understand it and really i don't suppose you do, or do you?

ok that is slightly more helpful...it could be that it is exceeding the USB's capability to transfer enough data fast enough...you said this was going through a USB hub correct, and do you know if its USB 1.1 or 2.0?

Thanks i've just tried it again and it says that the webcam is exceeding the usb controller, i am using 2.0, but as i said i was told that a self powered usb hub would solve the problem. Is there any way to decrease the amount the modem takes, because as i mentioned earlier if i get the webcam to work first then everything is ok.

If its a dial up modem then goto control panel and try adjusting the port speed of the modem

checked isdn modem and running within its perameters, the hub is self powered and iss giving each usb 500a and atached to that hub is the webcam and mouse only. But for some reason the webcam will not work if the modem is connected first, if the webcam is connected first then, wallah, no problems. There must be a way for either this to work or telling the computer to connect the webcam before the modem without unplugging modem, starting webcam and the reconnecting the modem?

Do you have to connect your modem to the PC with USB?
Can you connect the modem to the PC via ethernet?

Back
Top Bottom