installing windows on new build.

boyinshirt

Solid State Member
Hey guys. you were extremely helpful last time, so thank you.

so this is my first build... and I have everything set up in the new build and now i'm confused.

when i start up the computer, it says:
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I press a key, the green light on the CD-Rom goes on, but nothing happens. it has the same message.

so i restarted the computer, and I went into the "BIOS SETUP UTILITY" and went under "Boot". I changed the boot device priority to the "[CDROM:SS-HP DVD Wr]

I did that because i figured I'd be booting up from the CD-Rom with the windows disk.
(and i know that the CDROM is reading disks, because i put in my motherboards Chipset Support CD)

what's happening and how can i get my computer up and running

okay so i found this :
okay so i found this:

" . Now for heading you the way to windows setup, So enter your bios and try to find the detect drives, now this should detect your main hard drive and you should set this to be the boot drive. Now before you do this create a boot disk (Create from a working computer) and insert this, now reboot and it should boot into command prompt. Now you should type FORMAT C: and you disk will be formatted. Now insert your windows cd you are using and type into command prompt X: (X is the letter of your cd drive) then type SETUP.exe, This should look like X: Setup.exe. Press enter and you should be taken to the windows setup. Once your installed you have finished completely. Congratulations. "

so i changed my boot device to the hard drive.

but how would one go about creating a boot disk? is that what the chipset support CD is? I bought a floppy drive, but I think one of the pins is bent, so there goes that plan. Also there is no CD burner on this computer (the one i am posting from). (i could always get a friend to make one if this is a possible way?)

:\

Make sure your jumpers are set correctly on the back of the CD-ROM depending on how you have it setup with your hard drive. Your computer may not be detecting your CD-ROM. Double check cables too and make sure they are installed the right way. The green light just means it's getting power and does not necessarily mean it will read discs.

Is ya HDD and CD drive detected in BIOS? Is your disc a bootable XP disc? Ya can make a bootdisc at www.bootdisk.com, but that shouldnt be necessary with an original XP disc

Raffaz said:
Is ya HDD and CD drive detected in BIOS? Is your disc a bootable XP disc? Ya can make a bootdisc at www.bootdisk.com, but that shouldnt be necessary with an original XP disc

yes, both are detected in the BIOS, because both show up in the boot device priority.

and how would I know if it's a bootable XP disc? It's an OEM version of XP Media Center Edition 2005 (and i've been using disc 1, which i'd only assume is the one to use...)

oh okay something new. the CD rom is coming up as the slave drive instead of the master drive. does that matter?

boyinshirt said:
oh okay something new. the CD rom is coming up as the slave drive instead of the master drive. does that matter?
Yes it does. You need to change the jumper setting on the back of the cd rom to primary. Just have a look at the manual and it will tell you where the jumper should be for the master setting.

Tommy Boy said:
Yes it does. You need to change the jumper setting on the back of the cd rom to primary. Just have a look at the manual and it will tell you where the jumper should be for the master setting.

okay i've changed the jumper and now it is the master, but it's still not reading/booting from the XP disk :(

I'm thinking that your disc isn't bootable then or maybe it's a bad disc. Is it a brand new disc or is it one that came with a pc that you bought? If it is, those discs will only work with the pc they are meant to be used on. Like a Dell or HP or something. If you try and use those with a different pc it will not work.

Do you have any other discs that are bootable? Like perhaps a hard drive disc?

Also, give the specs on your pc.

It should boot from the XP MCE disc, so ya have set the CD drive to master on secondary channel, and HDD to master on the primary channel? and ya have set ya BIOS to boot from CD, and its still not working? Is the CD an original? Are ya getting any different errors, or are they the same as in your first post?

i can't find anywhere in the bios that has an option to boot from the CD.

someone else told me to try that and yeah. can't do it.

and it's a brand new Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 disc. Fresh out of the package last night.

The Specs:

-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939
-ASUS A8V-VM Socket 939 VIA K8M890 ATX AMD Motherboard
-Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JBRTL 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
- HP LightScribe 16x DVD+- R

i figure that's really all you need, right?

Back
Top Bottom