Processors and motherboard

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
when i get a new processor, do i also need to get a motherboard? and how do i install it?

It depends on the original motherboard whether it will support the new CPU or not. If you have an old motherboard like 4 years old or somethign like that, chances are you will need a new motherboard to go with a new CPU. CPU are easy to install if you are patient. They come "literally" poster sized instructions on how to install a CPU. You open up the package, install the CPU into it's socket on the motherboard, push down the lever to lock itin place, peel off the paper on the thermal pad (which is usually attached to the bottom of the heatsink, then mount the heatsink on there so that it's snug within the heatsink brackets. Then there's all these metal or plastic clips you have to push down into its supporting brackets that's on the motherboard.

Teny said:
when i get a new processor, do i also need to get a motherboard? and how do i install it?
What a ridiculous post, it's like me saying to you "Do you like the colour of my hair?" As you don't know what I look like you have no idea.

Details is what gives us the ability to help you.

What do you have at present and what do you intend to get?

:rolleyes:

EDIT: If you don't know how to install a new cpu then I'd suggest you take it to a shop. Although it is easy enough, if you haven't done it before, it may be cheaper in the long run.

TRDCorolla said:
It depends on the original motherboard whether it will support the new CPU or not. If you have an old motherboard like 4 years old or somethign like that, chances are you will need a new motherboard to go with a new CPU. CPU are easy to install if you are patient. They come "literally" poster sized instructions on how to install a CPU. You open up the package, install the CPU into it's socket on the motherboard, push down the lever to lock itin place, peel off the paper on the thermal pad (which is usually attached to the bottom of the heatsink, then mount the heatsink on there so that it's snug within the heatsink brackets. Then there's all these metal or plastic clips you have to push down into its supporting brackets that's on the motherboard.

well i just bought a emachines T3506 during this summer, and it has an intel celeron D inside, do i need to get a new motherboard if i want an Intel Pentium 4?

You may be able to upgrade to any of the Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, and the Pentium 4's based on the chipset you're using. It would also depend what socket your motherboard is using too but I'll bet it's the newer LGA 775.

The eMachines site is hopeless with regards to upgradability, it appears they require you to contact Tech support for any more info :rolleyes:

eMachines link

It doesn't even say if the FSB is 533/800 just states straight out 533 Celeron.

My suggestion, contact them before you do anything.

how much would it cost to be professionally installed, is there an estimation?

Woooo, they can charge an arm and a leg. Just estimate the cost of a new CPU and add another $100 for labor. Depends on labor fees at certain places. I usually charge at least $50 for labor on top of CPU cost.

Back
Top Bottom