I know a lot of you won't want to help me

hobo1

Beta member
I am in a very serious financial situation. And I need to keep the internet cause of work related. What I want to do would only be for a short time till I can get back on my feet again. I had a friend of mine come over with his lap top to see if I could get an internet connection inside my home from somebody in the neighborhoods wireless modem. I do have a connection. Very low connection but it was enough for me to surf the web and I didn't get booted off. I don't own a laptop and I use a desktop for work and that is located in the basement where I don't recieve any outside signals. Anyway could somebody tell me if I were to put up an antenna would that bring in the signal from outside and down to my desktop. What would I need to get that signal into my pc. I have an antenna that I can get from my dad but I don't know what type of line is on it. I think it is a reg. co ax cable on the antenna. If this idea would work could somebody please tell me what wire would I need in the antenna and how to get it to my pc. Do I need anything on my pc to get the signal in. I understand the mixed feelings on this subject I don't like it neither. But I would only consider this for a short time. If you don't want to respond to me on the forum please, please pm me. Thanks, And I hope you understand.

I don't want to sound like a computer idiot here but I am. The link you sent me what am I looking at. I see that it plugs into my usb port. But what does it do and the antenna I was talking about how does that plug into there. thanks

That USB device is an antenna itself. You just plug that into a USB port on the back of your PC and poof: you get instant internet from your neighbor.

Wow, do you think that would be as good as me putting up an outside antenna or are you telling me to try this before I go and do all that work. Because I don't receive a signal down stairs in my basement. That's why I was going to put up an antenna and run a line in to the pc. But that's the part where I get confused on. Thanks again

hobo said:
...... I had a friend of mine come over with his lap top to see if I could get an internet connection inside my home from somebody in the neighborhoods wireless modem. I do have a connection....
It doesn't matter how long you intend to do this, it is THEFT.

Be prepared for the consequences if you get caught.

On the other side of the coin, serves whoever it is you're stealing bandwidth from right for not securing their network to a degree (still doesn't make your theft right though).

Parts as described above should work providing you can get the signal, as you state you're in a basement with no signal there you may have to move the adapter or pc to better location.

DILLIGAF said:
It doesn't matter how long you intend to do this, it is THEFT.

Be prepared for the consequences if you get caught.

On the other side of the coin, serves whoever it is you're stealing bandwidth from right for not securing their network to a degree (still doesn't make your theft right though).

Parts as described above should work providing you can get the signal, as you state you're in a basement with no signal there you may have to move the adapter or pc to better location.

Helping him makes you an accomplis :D

you could always try moving the computer around in the basment, sometimes you can catch the signal just by moving the computer a few feet closer to the window

you also coul get a really long usb extension cable and run it to a window where you will get better reception.

Well, if you want to avoid theft then tell your neighbor you'll pay him $10-$15 a month to use his internet connection. I would definatley go for it if I were him cause its not like he wouldn't have it anyway and now some of his bill is taken care of, plus your getting internet for a fraction of the cost of what you used to have to pay...

Back
Top Bottom