Project 95

~NeonFire372~

Golden Master
Project 95

Don't ask why I'm doing this, but I decided to take down my old computer from the dusty old attic today and fool around with it a bit. It was running Windows XP on a 850MHz 128MB RAM system so it wasn't too pleasant and I thought that I had enough of that. I decided to reformat using the tools on the Windows XP Home Edition disc. I reformatted, and now I have a clean system, I think. I just reset the power when it reached 100% in the reformatting because I didn't want it to reinstall Microsoft Windows XP on that thing.

I want to install Microsoft Windows 95 on my old computer, don't ask why, seems to run a bit faster and work better than XP on an older system. This will turn into Project: Ubuntu a little later when I investigate the workings of the Ubuntu system, but for now, its project 95. I'm lazy and can't figure out anything for myself... well, I tried, but this got me stumped.

Anyway, your probably thinking by now, what the ---- is this guy talking about? But anyway, I have a Windows 95 CD from my original computer that I got back in 1998 and I tried to boot from the CD... first tried booting from E drive and then D and not results. It said something like insert system disc or something but it will boot okay from the Windows XP Setup Disc. How can I install Windows 95 if I can't boot through the hard disk drive because there's nothing on it and I can't boot from Windows 95 disc because it won't let me? Should I wait for Ubuntu and try to boot from that? (Yeah, I'm going to do that later but I'm not waiting around for that Ubuntu CD to come in the mail, I want to get things done now). In clearer form,

[1] How can I get my stubborn computer to boot from the Windows 95 disc? Do I need a 95 floppy or something, my computer can boot from XP disc so it should be able to boot from any other type of disc, right?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, and in a couple months when I receive my free Ubuntu CD (or if I go to my Aunt's where there's broadband I will try to get it there), this will become Project Ubuntu.

I just thought Project 95 sounded cool. :p

Edit: How do I get into DOS to do commands on a clean drive? I downloaded this file and put it on a floppy but how do I get in DOS without having anything on the drive? When I load up the computer... it won't boot by the hard drive, just through CDs or something right now because its formatted.

I tried booting with the floppy I made using the instructions on the first site and it still said it needed a system disk and couldn't boot from that or something and to insert one and press enter, so what do I do? :(

Make sure to set the BIOS to boot to floppy first. Insert the boot floppy in the drive and the W95 CD in the CDROM. Once it's booted, at the DOS prompt, enter the command "X:setup" where "X" is replaced by the drive letter of your CD-ROM. Setup will begin. :D

Goto bootdisk.com and download a bootable floppy, as 95 CD isnt bootable.

been there done that, windows 95 installation is exciting, when i first did it, on my bad laptop, i used a zip drive whoops, infact, i think ill grab a bad laptop now and put 95 on it!
cya

Back
Top Bottom