Pentium 2 sells for 399 USD!

Nik00117

Fully Optimized
I was down at my the shop just looking about when I saw my boss, said he had the funniest story to tell me.

So there was a guy, he had a Pentium 2 system in his basement that he often used for checking e-mail etc blah blah. Nothing critical on it. So anyways somehow his basement got flooded (How I don't know) either way the P2 was on when it flooded so needless to say fixing it was out of the question.

So my boss told the man its worth about 10 bucks, however to replace a low end system would cost 399. So my boss claimed the P2 for 399 claiming to replace a PC of similar quality when it was bought it'd cost 399. So the man got 399 for a Pentium 2 system that most people would hesitate about buying for 10 bucks.

Good deal? O btw his buddy sold him the PC a few years back for 100. So he made 299 off the system :) even got XP pro SP2 for it.

well...
it might sound like a con, but it's perfectly legit...

at the last place I worked I was in charge of devising the inventory, there were some basic price structures.

each new pc was priced at £500 pretty much regardless of it's original price.
the depreciation period was 2 years, (average life expectance of a business machine).

either at £1000, £1500 or £2000 with depreciation of 5 years.

so with PC's we could have a system for a few years, if it was stolen or broken by disaster we could claim the ful amount for up to two years, and a depreciated amount for each year after that, (depreciation was for tax reasons).

with servers, we'd claim the new price for up to five yearsafter, and a depreciated amount after that.

it doesn't matter that a £1000 server is only worth £100 five years down the line,
because you don't value assets at the price they cost, you value them at the worth to the business...

as an effort to reduce the insurance expenditure, I suggested that we changed the price to a more realistic build price rather than a average price from dells website,
in this way a machine could be valued at £250, the only problem benig that if all the machines are wipped out at once, you need to be able to get an insurance check, go straight to the dell website and have all the machines that you need pretty much next day so that your business can start again as it was before the disaster.

Same thing with your dads friend...
he could have got $10, and spent an age travelling round car boot sales and good will shops, but if a machine is used for business use, he needs that machine relpaced as fast as possible with minimum affect to his business... that means buying new.

Hehe of coures :)

Its not a con my boss charged the exact amount that his PC cost that he was going sell to the guy.

Usually, I sell these PII/Celerons for $20 or $25. I don't go too high...unless they expect me to insert Windows XP on them. Then, we go for $65.

On the other hand, for that much money, you would have my P4, but would be missing $51.

It actually might. It's a classic piece of Computing history. I still have the first Pentium. :D With MMX Technology baby! :p

Hehe, yea one day PC parts could become collectors items. I am sure that 1836 revloer owner never thought for a second that his rifle would be worth thousands in 100 years.

Back
Top Bottom