MY PC Wont Read OS

Ok, I turn the computer on and here's what I get:

Setup is being restarted:

Installing Windows:

39 Minutes to completion

Then I get:

Fatal Error:
An Error has encountered that prevents setup from continuing.

Setup failed to install the product catalogs.
This is a fatal error. The Setup log files should contain more information.

C:\Windows\setuperrlog

Setup could not register the OLE control C:\Windows\System32\initpki.dll
because of the following error:
DllRegisterServer returned error 3221225478(c0000006)

Error:
The signature for Windows XP Home Edition Setup is invalid.
The error code is 6ba. The RPC server is unavailable.

What in the world does all that mean? I'm clueless as to what's next...

Someone suggested checking the mem sticks. I swapped out one of the mem sticks and found that I had a spare 512mb stick lying around. I then connected it and now the video doesn't come up anymore....this chip was also hot when I pulled it out about 20 seconds after i put it in. And of course, the computer was off when I installed and removed the chip.

sounds like it could be the hard drive maybe worth getting a new one

try reformatting it with PQ magic then do a reinstall this will clean the drive completely as windows does not. but i think the drive is on its way out.

You could always use someone else windows cd as long as you have a registration key. ask around see who has a original disc or could burn you a copy.

Well, if you have the Original key, you could borrow a friend's CD and install it, then, it would be okay. If you don't have anyone to actually have the CD key, PM me. You will need a CD/DVD burner.
ASSEMBLER said:
sounds like it could be the hard drive maybe worth getting a new one

try reformatting it with PQ magic then do a reinstall this will clean the drive completely as windows does not. but i think the drive is on its way out.

You could always use someone else windows cd as long as you have a registration key. ask around see who has a original disc or could burn you a copy.
It has nothing to do with hardware. But, I agree on the CD borrowing.

Thinking about i have come accross this a simillar problem with my mates pc i could only install so much of windows and we established that if i used my memory out of my pc it would install but with his mem it would not so we had to find out which ram stick was faulty. so if you have 2 mem sticks take one out and see if you can install if not then try the other mem stick its worth a try.

I'm using a burned CD as we speak. I put that in my first post. I do have a couple working hard drives lying around also so maybe I should try those?

What is PQMagic>

Why do I need a CD key? My PC case still has the windows sticker on it... I just dont get that far as to having windows installed.

it is possible that the copy of windows you are using may be slighly corrupt so just as a precaution it may be worth tring another windows disc from a freind or someone you know. PQ magic is short for partition magic this is a programme that formats hard drives thats all. the first thing i would try is put another drive in your pc and give it a try if it fails again then you know its not the hard drive.

2nd i would try taking or using different memory sticks take one of yours out if you have 2 in there the install if that fails then take the oter memory stick out and replace it with the first one you took out and try again if that fails the i suggest getting another copy of windows from somewhere. its just trail and error im afraid and it gets a bit stressfull we know.But we have to elliminate the obviouse problems first.
just for the record this pc is it running at stock speed or is it overclocked at all as this can stp windows from loading. im guessing its not overclocked.

Assem, I've tried using one mem stick and it booted up fine but gave me the same error message. I then tried using the other one alone and it wouldnt boot up. But when I use both, the both work fine....? Do I need a new mem chip?>

My PC case does have the original windows sticker with the key...

It stock, I know little about PCs so abbreviations confused the helloutta me...lol

When I tried putting a 512mb chip into the mem slot i turned the PC on and I get no video response...

I then removed it after waiting about 20 seconds of waiting and the chip was very hot. Now I dont get a video response from the PC...

you say you have another pc with win 98 on do you have a win98 cd to try see if this will install as things seem to be getting a little confusing to say the least.

when you put the windows cd in to install does it ptck up the cd at all i thought you were getting a error message part way through the installation.

we will sort this eventually i know it must be stressfull at your end.

Back
Top Bottom