one way connection

ifanrgriffiths

Solid State Member
Hi Newbie here, i have a home network set up with only 2 pc's so far. Main pc connects directly to broadband by usb modem runs Windows XP Home SP2 with Mcafee firewall and can see and access 2nd pc which is running Windows XP Pro SP1 2nd pc can see but not access Main pc nor can it access internet. I have internet sharing turned on (on main pc) and file sharing. Mcafee Automatically added network range when installed, both pc's can 'ping' each other with out any problems. Error message i get is '**** is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have permissions.' ' Access is denied'
Please help it's bugging the hell out of me!!!!
:confused:

Are both pc's in the same workgroup?

Have you shared the document/folder/drive you are trying to access?

Have you run the network setup wizard on both pc's?

Is the main pc set as the gateway?

Also is the data you are trying to access under a logon? as in a "My Documents" or "My Pictures" folder?

I also wonder if it may be something to do with one only having SP1 installed, can you put SP2 on it?

main one is set as gateway can only put sp1 on 2nd had no problems before but then used zonealarm firwall which cocked everything up :confused:

It looks like ZA has changed your security settings somewhere (I almost hate ZA as much as I hate Norton)

So is ZA still installed?

Which machine was ZA on?

Have u looked in the local security policy in administrative tools? Also, uninstall McAfee - its crap, hogs loads of CPU and memory. Just have a low key anitvirus such as NOD32 or avast etc.

ok... first of all, uninstall zone alarm and close mcafee, dont throw it away if u spent loads of money on it. Regret it for the rest of ur life. Or if u still have all the refund stuff... do that. Redo ur network sharing with instead a router that has a uilt in firewall without clogging ur comp resources. Then install adapters, and run the wizard

Back
Top Bottom