Booting Problems, Please Help.

Aphysjtx

Beta member
I have two problems, the first seems a bit unusual. When I press the power button on my PC, its turns on and immidiatley shuts off for about 10 seconds. It then turns back on and starts up like it should. It didn't seem like a big problem until recently when a new problem surfaced. After the Windows XP loading screen ends, it should bring up the log on screen, right? Instead it shows a black screen for about 20 seconds before the log on comes up. At first, I though there was no signal to my moniter or something but then I figured out it just takes a long time to go from the the loading screen to the log on screen. I've never encountered these problems before so I don't know where to start looking. If anyone has an answer to either one, please tell me because it seems weird that it would take so long to boot all of a sudden.

Have you checked your bios power settings? Sometimes motherboards have goofy settings for the power button and perhaps something like that got turned on for some reason.

Well that seems OK, was this reading taken during the boot cycle or when the pc was running? At boot there is a significantly increased load on the psu as all the devices are powered up.

The next thing I'd try is updating all m/board drivers and running MemTest or similar to check the ram.

The black screen would suggest that there is a problem with device drivers somewhere, have you checked Device Manager to see if there are any problem devices?

It could be something as simple as a faulty power switch.

set the bios to default setting at least then this will be illiminated if it still happens you will no it is not the bios setting. then it may be worth tring a clean install of windows also try unplugging your psu bobo connection and plug it back in to make sure the contact is ok

DILLIGAF said:
Well that seems OK, was this reading taken during the boot cycle or when the pc was running? At boot there is a significantly increased load on the psu as all the devices are powered up.

The next thing I'd try is updating all m/board drivers and running MemTest or similar to check the ram.

The black screen would suggest that there is a problem with device drivers somewhere, have you checked Device Manager to see if there are any problem devices?

It could be something as simple as a faulty power switch.

The reading was done when the computer was running, but now, I've noticed that it's gone down to 11.83 V. I think the problem either deals with my psu, each component not getting enough power to start up at the same time..perhaps it's even some kind of safety feature even though I havn't seen any mention of that from the newegg reviews. It's a HIPER HPU-4K530-MS. I also started to wonder if the problem dealt with my cpu, a core 2 duo overclocked from 1.8ghz to 2.5ghz. Now that I think of it, when I started the PC up for the very first time, it wouldn't turn on and it smelled like something had fried. I tried it a few more times and eventually, I was able to install windows and everything. I havn't had any problem with it shutting down randomly or anything else that would indicate damaged parts. It runs fine (after it boots) and has been since I built it about 3-4 weeks ago. I really don't know why it does the boot thing or why it smelled fried on the first start up, so I don't know where to start.

Back
Top Bottom