how to network my pc to laptop

o right if you have a router you need standard ethebert cables and just connect each one to the router then connect the interneet to it and then share it that way, if it has wireless as well you could get a wireless card for the laptop and have wireless

Line in (cable or ADSL connection or whatever you have) to modem , then connect the ethernet out from the modem to the 4 port router, then plug your pc's into the router.

With a cross over cable your desktop (if you make it the gateway) will need to be on for the laptop to access the net.

With the router set up as I described you will not need to have the desktop running for the laptop to access the net.

So if i connect an ethernet to my computer then to router then from there to laptop i sould be able to get them hooked up together, is it easy to set them up on xp

yep, use the network wizard in network connections, it's not that hard.

If I had Visio installed I'd draw you a network map but I haven't reinstalled since my last format

Internet​
|​
modem​
|​
router​
/..............\​
Desktop ................ Laptop​

Best I can do given the forum text formatting

yep that will work because it has a built in 4 port switch, just connect the desktop and laptop via the switch if you don't have wireless cards in your desktop and/or laptop

i have managed to get everything set up i have 2 computers and a laptop connected.
laptop connected with wires
computer connected by wires
one computer connected wireless

Im getting a message saying

you don't have permission to use this network resource. contact administrator......

What do i need to do to view the computer through another

What are you trying to access?

You will be able to access the shared docs folder only on the target pc, you will not be able to access anything else unless you specifically share it

To share folder/drive right click it > Properties > Sharing Tab

You will have to do this on the host machine whilst logged on with an administrator account.

I can veiw the drives shared on my laptop throught my pc but cannot do the reverse or do it on the other pc??

you have to share them on all pc's as admin as I said above.

Also reboot each pc once you have shared what you want to share.

I have to go out, I'll be back in an hour or so.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom