how to network my pc to laptop

alexpattison

Baseband Member
Hi dont know if im in the right section but does anyone know the simlest way for me to network my laptop to my pc they both have ethernet.

alexpattison said:
am i right in saying thats an Ethernet cable???
It is an ethernet cable, but it is a special ethernet cable where the send and recieve wires are swapped on one end. It allows you to connect two pc's directly through the ethernet ports. You can buy them at just about any electronics store. Could be a problem though if you need any more than like 10 feet, you might have to have one custom made. Crossover cables don't usually come in very long lengths.

yeah just it has to be a crossover cable to work for direct pc to pc networking mostly a normal ethebert cable will not work they are only for linking pc to router or switch

i can buy them ready made up to a 5/10 and 15 meters then you buy a roll of cable and make your own, ist not that easy and you will find instructions on the internet

i have a router if that makes things easier saves buying more stuff.

i also have a wirless router but im not sure if thats just for wireless.

muz379 said:
i can buy them ready made up to a 5/10 and 15 meters then you buy a roll of cable and make your own, ist not that easy and you will find instructions on the internet
Actually it is easy, but you have to have an expensive wire crimper.

I have taken a regular ethernet cable to a computer shop and they turned it into a crossover cable for me by just swapping the two wires on one end and putting a new connector on it.

yeah i know someone who makes them, and they make profits selling them to computer shops etc who cannot make them ,

So if i wanted to connect say both my pcs and my laptop could i use the router i have don't know much about it its just stuck in the attic i know you can connect internet in (Ethernet) then it has 4 ports for you to connect a commuter???

Back
Top Bottom