Intel Penryn

i'm sure we'll long since be dead when they finally get teleporters working like in star trek though :p

I still remember the quote from Star Trek: First Contact. The captain says something about how humans work to better themselves and how the concept of money possesion is obsolete and meaningless.

Besides the point, Intel did mention they were going to use a light hybrid CPU or something like that for next generation CPUs. I swear I read that somewhere. I feel it is a possiblitily and I'm sure R&D is looking into it or have a prototype setup.

Lol, molecular CPUs, quantum phase shift--oh man.

Then there's this article here on quantum optical chips:

'Quantum-Optical' chip maker shows 6.8GHz CPU
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/11/atom_chip_at_ces/

That article is almost like a year old, but the fact that the company doesn't reveal any info or even let other people look at the specs more closely is a cause for high doubts. I'm still waiting for them reports, lol.

Here's one that is so complex, I don't even have a clue to what they're saying about Quantum Optics:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/23/quantum_computing/

"Utilising two coupled optical interferometers, nested within a third, Kwiat's team succeeded in counterfactually searching a four-element database using Grover's quantum search algorithm. "By placing our photon in a quantum superposition of running and not running the search algorithm, we obtained information about the answer even when the photon did not run the search algorithm," said graduate student Onur Hosten, lead author of the Nature paper. "We also showed theoretically how to obtain the answer without ever running the algorithm, by using a 'chained Zeno' effect."
Through clever use of beam splitters and both constructive and destructive interference, the researchers can put each photon in a superposition of taking two paths. Although a photon can occupy multiple places simultaneously, it can only make an actual appearance at one location. Its presence defines its path, and that can, in a very strange way, negate the need for the search algorithm to run.

"In a sense, it is the possibility that the algorithm could run which prevents the algorithm from running," Kwiat said. "That is at the heart of quantum interrogation schemes, and to my mind, quantum mechanics doesn't get any more mysterious than this."

Now that is Star Trek, lol....

yeah optics would make things a lot faster. But I'm guessing it's still many many years away from being something we will be seeing in home pc's.

Alvino, yes the US military has a budget too. But that budget is something so big that a few hi tech computer thingys wouldn't really have a big effect.

Talking about f-22's here:
wikipedia said:
By the time all 183 jets have been purchased, around $28 billion will have been spent on research and development, with an additional $34 billion spent on actually procuring the aircraft.

Now that makes it about 340 million god damn dollars per 1 aircraft. (the cost for the one that have already been produced is about $360 million per aircraft)
Of course that is taken from a budget of many years,
Now that's just 1 type of aircraft, then they have bought 21 b-2s during the past 10 years or so, costing about $2 billion PER AIRCRAFT. That again is about $4 billion spent each year for just 1 type of bomber.

Now that's just the new planes, not counting the use of fuel, missiles, bombs, paying all the pilots & mechanics etc. And then, that's only the air force, just one branch of the US military.

Now if you tell me they can't afford some hi tech computer processors.... :rolleyes: As long as it's even remotely possible that something like it can be made the US military can afford to buy it. :D

well i was going through the benchmarks (i think at hothardware) and the 4x4 did match or beat the core 2 in some benchmarks, however when i reached the part about power consumption, i just shut that window and never clicked on a link about 4x4 again.

mammikoura said:
yeah optics would make things a lot faster. But I'm guessing it's still many many years away from being something we will be seeing in home pc's.

Alvino, yes the US military has a budget too. But that budget is something so big that a few hi tech computer thingys wouldn't really have a big effect.

Talking about f-22's here:

Now that makes it about 340 million god damn dollars per 1 aircraft. (the cost for the one that have already been produced is about $360 million per aircraft)
Of course that is taken from a budget of many years,
Now that's just 1 type of aircraft, then they have bought 21 b-2s during the past 10 years or so, costing about $2 billion PER AIRCRAFT. That again is about $4 billion spent each year for just 1 type of bomber.

Now that's just the new planes, not counting the use of fuel, missiles, bombs, paying all the pilots & mechanics etc. And then, that's only the air force, just one branch of the US military.

Now if you tell me they can't afford some hi tech computer processors.... :rolleyes: As long as it's even remotely possible that something like it can be made the US military can afford to buy it. :D

Yup. The F-22 is so nice. Then again, cutting-edge technology does come at a steep price. Remember that some, if not most of this is coming from taxpayer's pockets.

i would like to see how in the future how they can get the most out of holographic imaging used in memory storage or whatever..i also want to know on what's around the corner for transportation, since the hybrid electic car.

and the way we are depleting the resources of petroleum, i hope they have an alternative resouce that all of us can afford.i am not so much speaking on nuclear plants either.

~mr mixx~ said:
and the way we are depleting the resources of petroleum, i hope they have an alternative resouce that all of us can afford.i am not so much speaking on nuclear plants either.

well there is actually a few. IMO one of the best solution would be to use hydrogen as an energy source. Hydrogen + oxygen = energy + water. No pollution, the only waste product is water. And the technology has been there for a long time, but now it's not that expensive anymore, so even normal people can afford it. Of course we need to have a lot of hydrogen, but right now it's produced with using stuff like solar and wind energy. This is the system those methanol cars use, they take the hydrogen from the methanol and combine it with oxygen and they get the energy they need.

And alvino, definitely the best fighter atm. So fast, so destructive, combined with a long operational range and stealth capabilities.. not to mention how beautiful it looks. :D And even the aim-120 amraam missiles it uses are like worth a very high end sports car. And yes, a lot of the money is coming from the tax payers.

Back
Top Bottom