XP Restart.

jamiebalmain

Beta member
Hello. Okay so here is the problem:
I have had my PC for about 5 months now. It came with a "VIA unichrome pro (32mb)" on board graphics card, After about 2 weeks of owning the PC I upgraded to an "Nvidia Geforce N6600 (256mb)". Everything seemed to be running fine. After a while though I started to have problems with programmes that take up alot of memory whilst running.
Basically when I ran quite high spec games (such as black and white 2) or programmes (such as power cinema) they would get to a certain point and then windows would just restart. I was having this problem before I got the new graphics card but I just figured it was becuase the on board graphics card was awfull.
After trying to run "Final Fantasy 8" pc version and having the computer restart on me I decided this was enough. If I couldn't run such a low end game without crashing, surely there had to be something wrong? Anyway I rang the manufacturer of my PC (Medion) and explained the problem, all they could tell me was that the default procedure for an XP error was to restart and that's what he thought was happening. He said he was pretty sure the error was with XP so I should simply restore my computer and try again.
After restoring everything was seeming to run faster. "Final fantasy 8" is now running fine, I am also running "Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death" and "Gladiator: Sword of vengeance" without any problems. Yesterday though I was watching Digital TV through "Power Cinema" and as I tried to switch to Twin TV my PC again restarted. I am reluctant to try and install some of my highger specced games becuase I really don't want my PC restarting on me all the time.
Can anyone lend some advice or knowledge as to what is happening, help would be greatly appreciated.

My Specs:
Motherboard: MICRO-STAR MS-7222
CPU/Speed: Intel Celeron D 2057mhz
RAM Manufacturer/Type/Module Size: 512mb DDR-2 (I think it's a siemens)
DVD Drives: Pioneer DVD-RW
Sony DVD-RW
Disk Drive(s): Manufacturer and Spec: ST3160812AS (149 GB, IDE)
Video Card: Manufacturer and Type: nVidia Geforce N6600 (256m)
Sound Card: Manufacturer and Model: Realtek AC97
NIC Manufacturer/Model: Unknown
Power Supply Brand and Wattage: Unknown
Operating System: Xp Home Edition sp 2

Edit: Sorry if I'm stealing someone's avatar:D

I reckon its either an overheating problem or a power supply problem. Do you know what sort of temps ya running at?

my 1st guess would be overheating. Check the temps, I'm always using the software provided by the manufacturer (mobo manufacturer, but in your case the pc manufacturer) because I trust them more than the other ones. You should also get an accurate reading from your bios, but that's only going to show you the idle temp.

Also, if you have oc'd it could be the cause.

And check the psu wattage. It should be on a sticker on the psu.

okay, so my computer seems to be running at about 33-35.c
My PSU is 330watts and I know that my graphics card needs a minimum of 300watts to run. Does this sound like what is causing the problem?

jamiebalmain said:
My PSU is 330watts and I know that my graphics card needs a minimum of 300watts to run. Does this sound like what is causing the problem?
The critical word here is minimum

What is the recommended?

I would say that the psu is certainly a contributing factor here as your temps seem fine

Have you added any other peripherals? extra fans? drives?

Is that wattage max output?

What are the amps on the 12v rail(s)?

I doubt it's the psu, unless it's broken or something. The wattage sure seems pretty low for a rig like that.
But he said
"I was having this problem before I got the new graphics card but I just figured it was becuase the on board graphics card was awfull. "
Now 330W should be enough for an onboard vid card, and the rest of the hardware isn't that powerfull either.

mammikoura said:
Now 330W should be enough for an onboard vid card, and the rest of the hardware isn't that powerfull either.

though he didnt mention whether or not he installed any other drives or fans or anything...that would help too...

i dont know if this would help or not but check you event veiwer next time this happens to see if its included in there

-KJ

The computer originaly came with one CD-RW. I installed both a sony-RW and a pioneer-RW, would that make that much difference?

Yep, you've now got two (maybe three as you dont say if you removed the original CD-RW) additional devices drawing power from an already under powered psu. A simplish test would be to unplug all other devices except the hdd & vid card and see if the problem persists, if it is improved with these devices unplugged it would point most definitly to the psu

Back
Top Bottom