Faulty pixels

novahifi

Baseband Member
I bought this laptop a week ago - it is a Satellite Toshiba P100-P429 model. I have notice that there are alot of pixels which look somehow as though they are each cracked down the middle - not dead as in glowing blue, red or green or even permanently black like a '.' however, each gives a somewhat impaired viewing, the crack in each gives of a prismatic effect of light. In two different places there are clusters of pixels thus affected that makes it look as though the screen is smudged.

Is this problem known? Would the shop or manufacturers treat it as the same as a dead pixel problem? Is it possible that it could have occured since I bought the computer due to eg, some kind of mishandling?

Thank you.

well if it is bothering you then take it back to the shop and show it to them. I'm pretty sure they will give you a new one/fix it for free. And I guess the only way you could cause that yourself is if something hit it. But I doubt that you have been trying to open it with a hammer or anything like that.

If it's a local shop then take it to them, if you bought it online then email them. You don't want to send it as RMA if they are not going to fix it. Then they will be charging you for their time + shipping.

yeah i have seen that kind off think before it was when a teacher dropped their laptop at school

Well I certainly haven't dropped it, hammered it or hit it with anything - but could this specific problem be caused eg by the laptop travelling or being carried or the way in which the lid was opened/closed or by dust or debris getting on it?

well the only reason I can think of is something hitting it. But if it nothing like that has happened then it's very likely that it was a manufacturing error.

Trouble with taking it back is - the shop have said regarding DEAD pixels (permantly glowing) that there have to be at least eight clustered together that are dead for them to exchange it for free. I'm not sure if these affected pixels actually count as dead or not, so I don't know if I could get a free exchange for it :/

novahifi said:
Trouble with taking it back it - the shop have said regarding DEAD pixels (permantly glowing) that there have to be at least eight clustered together that are dead for them to exchange it for free. I'm not sure if these affected pixels actually count as dead or not, so I don't know if I could get a free exchange for it :/

so it's a local shop?
Just take the laptop with you and show it to them. That's the best and easiest way to find out if they will replace it for free.

novahifi said:
Trouble with taking it back is - the shop have said regarding DEAD pixels (permantly glowing) that there have to be at least eight clustered together that are dead for them to exchange it for free. I'm not sure if these affected pixels actually count as dead or not, so I don't know if I could get a free exchange for it :/
You would need to find Toshibas "Dead Pixel Warranty" to find out what your rights are it should be in your Toshiba warranty definitions that came with the pc, it is no way vendor related, they can not impose their own version of it.

For the record:

Black pixel = dead

Coloured pixel (RGB) = stuck

There are software programmes you can use to try and "unstick" stuck pixels also you can either gently massage stuck pixels or gently flick the stuck pixel to try and unstick them.

NOTE: You try the latter two at your own risk

Whilst the warning sounds ominous I have actually unstuck a pixel using a combination of both methods.

^^ yes it is vendor related, at least over here it is. The manufacturer has it's own warranty definitions, which the shops usually use. But some shops do not have the same definitions, if the manufacturer doesn't replace it the shop has to pay for it themselves (if they choose to replace it). But they keep their customers happy. And also warranty times are very different, the shops usually give like 1 or 2 years, where as the manufacturer usually has a longer period of time, or even lifetime warranty.

mammikoura said:
^^ yes it is vendor related, at least over here it is. The manufacturer has it's own warranty definitions, which the shops usually use. But some shops do not have the same definitions, if the manufacturer doesn't replace it the shop has to pay for it themselves (if they choose to replace it). But they keep their customers happy. And also warranty times are very different, the shops usually give like 1 or 2 years, where as the manufacturer usually has a longer period of time, or even lifetime warranty.
And your point is? ......... you've got a shit system and you're getting ripped off?? If I was presented with that bullshit when I tried to return a plainly defective item that is a week old I would certainly contact Toshiba direct and/or the "Fair Trading Dept" or what ever your local equivalent may be.

@ novahifi ......... can you post a screen shot, preferably on a black (to see stuck pixels) then a white (to see dead pixels) background by any chance?

Back
Top Bottom