Better AGP Card: 7600GT or 7800GS?

sebastian0622

Beta member
7600GT: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2529919&CatId=0

7800GS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143046&ATT=14-143-046&CMP=OTC-B1zrat3

They are similarly-priced. I know the nVidia GT series is traditionally a LOT better than the GS series, so I'm wondering about which is better among these particular cards, but I'm no knowledgeable enough to figure it out. I'm just looking for a card to keep my current rig going for another year or two until I upgrade to a PCIe mobo.

Current setup:
2.8 P4 w/HT
1 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 5700FX
420w PS

1st. They are not similarly priced, the 7800GS is about $100 more expensive than the 7600GT. You took the 7600GT price from tigerdirect, which I'm pretty sure uses canadian dollars.
If you want to know which is better, the answer is the 7800GS. But the 7600GT is quite much cheaper, and does a pretty good job. If you are willing to spend the money on the 7800GS then go ahead, it's probably the best agp card there is.
But the 7600GT is cheap, and gives you a good performance in games. I'm currently using a 6800GT (pci-e) which is quite similar to the 7600GT and I'm happy with this card. Though I probably will be upgrading next summer when the dx10 cards become more popular and the prices go down.

How much of a step down is the 7600GS? It's quite a bit more affordable, and if that will get me to Jan 2008ish, I could just go with that.

sebastian0622 said:
How much of a step down is the 7600GS? It's quite a bit more affordable, and if that will get me to Jan 2008ish, I could just go with that.

I'm pretty sure they are about the same in performance. The GT might be a little better though.
But where are you getting your prices? As far as I know they are about the same price.

i'm getting the 7600GT because of its cheap price and its performance. its a good card
use until the DX10 stuff comes out.

sebastian0622 said:

160MHz in the CPU core is lost, and 300MHz (600MHz, effectively) of the memory is lost. Everything else is the same. The core MHz that are lost won't hurt performance on a huge scale, but the 600MHz lost in the memory will probably hurt it considerably. I'd say get the 7600GT if at all possible (ultimately the 7800GS), but I realize that your budget plays a key role when buying things.

Ronco Rox said:
i'm getting the 7600GT because of its cheap price and its performance. its a good card
use until the DX10 stuff comes out.

Where are you going to get it from? I've only found it for around $200, and that's about the price of the 7800 after rebate on newegg.

mammikoura said:
1st. They are not similarly priced, the 7800GS is about $100 more expensive than the 7600GT. You took the 7600GT price from tigerdirect, which I'm pretty sure uses canadian dollars.
If you want to know which is better, the answer is the 7800GS. But the 7600GT is quite much cheaper, and does a pretty good job. If you are willing to spend the money on the 7800GS then go ahead, it's probably the best agp card there is.
But the 7600GT is cheap, and gives you a good performance in games. I'm currently using a 6800GT (pci-e) which is quite similar to the 7600GT and I'm happy with this card. Though I probably will be upgrading next summer when the dx10 cards become more popular and the prices go down.
no they use US dollar amounts on their website...atleast the one i'm looking at they do.

Back
Top Bottom