Can anyone help please?

OllyA

Beta member
Hi guys-I seem to have a problem with a works laptop, and was wondering wheather anyone would mind helping me please? Basically, I think it has a virus, as yesterday, when switched on, I would get a bx flash up, saying "C\winnit:system32\suchost.exe"-then the computer would restart itself, saying "a fatal error has occurred." I could only operati in safe mode with networking. A friend looked at it last night, and now it'll start, but no images will show-only a little box in its place, with the three coloured shapes in it. Also, the box keeps popping up, saying "C\winnit:system32\suchost.exe". There are links to something called "ExSplorer" all over it too. Is there any way I can sort this out guys, I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks, Olly.

I believe suchost.exe is a part of a trojan.
I suggest that you install AVG anti-virus (free), update it and then run it. Also start -> run -> msconfig and then try to find the trojan from there (use google to check the processes) and disable it. This will prevent it from starting when windows starts.

If everything else fails, backup all important stuff and reformat. But there are a lot of ways to take care of viruses, so usually a reformat isn't needed.

Sorry, msconfig is not working-I have Windows 2000 if that helps. It's letting me download virus detection software, but not install and run it. Anyone else got any ideas please?

ohh, I was assuming you had win xp. And safe mode doesn't allow all programs to install, you could always try some other free anti-virus programs to see if they will install. Other good ones are Avira AntiVir and Avast.

also, give this a try. It's free online virus scan.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

OllyA said:
Sorry, msconfig is not working-I have Windows 2000 if that helps. It's letting me download virus detection software, but not install and run it. Anyone else got any ideas please?

Yes download and run MSconfig from here

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

And you downloaded AVG already right?

Here is a link just for reference

AVG antivirus
http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10596553.html?tag=pop.software

And you can only access the Computer in safemode?

( I am assuming safemode with networking)

btw..avg is not going to be free in january. Id go with avast, just my opinion, catches most of the new viruses that other programs dont..allt hough avg is a good anti vir.

Spec said:
btw..avg is not going to be free in january. Id go with avast, just my opinion, catches most of the new viruses that other programs dont..allt hough avg is a good anti vir.

is Avast free Spec?

Thanks guys-no I had a guy look at the computer last night, and I can now run in normal mode-he thinks it's something to do with this "exSplorer" which is all over it. I've tried all the virus detection stuff, but the computer won't run it-almost as if the virus is immune to it. Sorry I can't describe it more accurately-thanks again for your replies-I'll try the online scan now mammikoura.

If ya keep getting problems then it might be worth doing a clean install, and then making sure all your AV stuff is upto date so it doesnt happen again

Back
Top Bottom