Great story

Brookfield said:
Good grief, poor you!, isn't there a toughened cable on the market, say Halford's that is long enough to entwine through both wheels, gear sprocket, saddle springs, with a really efficient padlock, [they sell the locks at my local ironmongers costing £80 to £100, or there's the internet, but it'd be worth it] then finally round the rack, failing that, get one made up at a welding engineers.
Yeah I went to a lock smith who sold me my 'uncroppable' chain. I think it must have worked because the rest was still there and so they took the wheel out of spite :eek:

I'm going to replace the quick release mechanism with a bolted one. But what next? The saddle will go?

Raffaz said:
Yeah your right there, i had one about 15yrs ago. It was decent, think it was a spectre 500. But the quality isnt what it was
The one I had all that time ago, was of very good quality, I had it for ten years, no problems at all, it's the same with other things, Eclipse tools were originally British, but a few years ago their factories closed down with a loss of hundreds of jobs, last month I needed a new set of small box spanners, they were made in Korea, the first one I used, cracked at the business end, & I wasn't applying that much pressure, the same with junior hacksaw blades, blunt, after half a dozen times.

I tend to take the front wheel off, and chain it next to the frame, and then I have a D-Lock for the back wheel to whatever I am locking it too.

I usually remove the seat and take that with me, however recently my friend had her £900 bike stolen with one of those so called unbreakable locks and they just snipped through with a heavy pair of industrial bolt cutters, they took 6 bikes in the space of ten minutes, the ones left were the ones with D-Locks.

UPDATE:

Just got a call from the police who have found the guy on cctv who was also picked up for breach of bail terms. So he was actually arrested and charged for breaching bail and the theft of 1 bike and my wheel.

David Lindon said:
UPDATE:
So he was actually arrested and charged for breaching bail and the theft of 1 bike and my wheel.

lol, imagine if you would take all of the other stuff he did. "He was arrested and charged for the theft of a wheel"

But it's a good thing they caught the guy and you got your wheel back.

mammikoura said:
lol, imagine if you would take all of the other stuff he did. "He was arrested and charged for the theft of a wheel"

But it's a good thing they caught the guy and you got your wheel back.
Yeah lol, no point in pressing chargers

mammikoura said:
Come on mate, it's not funny, but like you, I'm glad he got it back, better than that, they have the b*gg*r!!

lhuser said:
I would usually lock both tire and bike. Even bolted. Now, the only thing to fear is that if the guy decides to take the entire bike rack off.

ive done that before and came back to find my seat missing..... i thought i was safe tying up the tire and bike, but now.. when i used to cycle, i used to take the seat with me when i was leaving it in a dodgy area.. i used to have to leave it in harlow quite a bit, which aint the nicest of areas...

recently my friend had her £900 bike stolen with one of those so called unbreakable locks

if you want it bad enough, there aint such a thing as an unbreakable lock.. sure, you may not be able to break the lock open, but theres boltcutters, electronic saws etc to break the actual chain bit with.. plus i wouldnt pay out £900 on a bike either.. lol..

Back
Top Bottom