Distributed computer, CF teams.

Charchris said:
I think I will consider it when I want my PC as a heater, it made my CPU jump 20 degrees or so
Then don't run it at 100%, set it to 50% or something

Here's the deal, I have just set up a server in my cupboard, a good one. It's only a file server, so folding @ home is on, and running.

Great to hear!!

yeah same here. i turned it off in fear that my pc might fry while i was at school.

Just run it at 50% or something!

we need a rival forum/clan to compete against!!

David Lindon said:
....we need a rival forum/clan to compete against!!
I fold for Team 24, Overclockers Australia (OCAU). Try competing against them :D

Team Rankings List - OCAU is #2 ;)

To those with HT P4's and dual cores, you can run two instances of F@H one on each core, you can also run it on the core of certain graphics cards (1950 xtx for example)

The 50% cpu usage people are probably running one instance of F@H on a P4 or dual core system.

If you ever want to test a cpu overclock for stability, F@H would be the thing to use.

EDIT:
lhuser said:
Well, my PC is running at 50% on that, so I guess it doesn't hurt. Maybe I should connect a PII and run it 24/7. Or maybe ALL PCs.
It will only use available cpu cycles, when you use another app F@H will throttle back its cpu usage, I game whilst folding and it has no effect on the games what so ever.

DILLIGAF said:
If you ever want to test a cpu overclock for stability, F@H would be the thing to use.

nope, prime95 would be the thing to use. As far as I know F@h just does the calculating and then send the results, with prime95 you calculate something, and then it compares the result you calculated to the right answer. This means that if your cpu does some calculation wrong (because of instability) prime95 will pick it up instantly.

^^ that's with the stress test feature or what ever it's called. If you are participating in the project, then it can't compare it to anything since the thing hasn't been calculated by anyone else.

Actually F@H is very good too. If your cpu can fold for a couple days straight, its stable ;)

borat_sagdiyev said:
yeah same here. i turned it off in fear that my pc might fry while i was at school.

Nah. It's not a CPU intensive app. When I run it all day long, my temps get to 38C max. Even then, I can still do other things fine. Folding is designed to use the extra CPU power that you're not using.

ownage said:
Actually F@H is very good too. If your cpu can fold for a couple days straight, its stable ;)

but it doesn't make sure that your computer is getting the right results. You can use any software that uses 100% of your cpu to test if it will crash, but not many of them will tell you if it makes an error when calculating.

No, with F@H, you can set how much cpu power you use. Somepeople just have a folding farm with 5 computers running 24/7. If your computer can't fold for a couple days straight, its not stable. Even with prime95/sp2004/orthos, after 15 hours, you could still error out. But what F@H will tell you is that it can be under load for long periods of time. It works just as well.

ownage said:
But what F@H will tell you is that it can be under load for long periods of time.

but it does not tell you if the cpu makes an error. Sure, one error doesn't really matter unless it happens all the time, so it is a great way of checking stability. But I'm still going to say that it's better if you know that you got an error. :p

Back
Top Bottom