intel e6300 or amd x2 4200+?

ownage said:
E6400, ASUS P5B Deluxe.
its a nice board, but i want SL-i and the evga I want has the brand new nvidia 680i. plus i seem to always hear about problems w/ asus.

680i has a handful of its own problems, its not ASUS's fault. the ASUS P5B deluxe is one of the best boards out right now. If you want SLi, then go with a P5WDH. Since i can see that you WILL go with the eVGA board, i can't stop you.

ownage said:
680i has a handful of its own problems, its not ASUS's fault.
it wasnt problems w 680i, it was more problems w/ nforce5 chipsets in raid, hence i figured it would be better to go nforce6 since i am possibly planning on doing a raid setup.

If you want SLi, then go with a P5WDH
wait, but doesnt that still use an intel chipset? dont you need an nvida chipset for SL-i? (since its an nvidia technology?)

Since i can see that you WILL go with the eVGA board, i can't stop you.
haha this made me laugh. im not trying to be stubborn or anything, just like nvidia and sl-i :)

allenn812 said:
I would defiantly get a cheaper board and a better processor. (E6400)
But the only real difference between the 6300 and 6400 is clock speed right? cause ill be overclocking it anyways, i should be able to reach 6400 levels pretty easily. the only performance gain i think i would get would be if i upgraded to the e6600, since it has 4mb l2 cache instead of 2mb for the 6300 and 6400. are there any major hardware diffs between the 6300 and 6400 that i am unaware of?

thanks for the help everybody, sorry im so stubborn haha

Actually, 680i has problems all across the board. When using SLI, no sound works, there is constant crackling through the speakers, there have also been reports that the motherboard has been killing off RAM.

Now, the thing with Nvidia and Crossfire is that a motherboard has NO way of tell if there is an nvidia or ATi card present in the pci-express slots. It just gets signals to put on the monitor. That is all. All SLi and Crossfire is done through drivers of the video card. So with a third party chipset maker, in this case Intel, you can use either SLi or Crossfire and it will work. You just need to find the hacked drivers for SLi.

uploader said:
wow thats exactly the kind of thing i was looking for. thanks alot!

ownage said:
Actually, 680i has problems all across the board. When using SLI, no sound works, there is constant crackling through the speakers, there have also been reports that the motherboard has been killing off RAM.

Now, the thing with Nvidia and Crossfire is that a motherboard has NO way of tell if there is an nvidia or ATi card present in the pci-express slots. It just gets signals to put on the monitor. That is all. All SLi and Crossfire is done through drivers of the video card. So with a third party chipset maker, in this case Intel, you can use either SLi or Crossfire and it will work. You just need to find the hacked drivers for SLi.
hmm interesting. i was unaware of the problems with the nforce chipsets. thanks for the info

I also did not know there were hacked drivers for intel chipsets in order to do sl-i. I will def. consider some of those intel boards before I make my final decision.

Back
Top Bottom