18yo girl hits toll booth at 100MPH in a Porche 911 Carrera

Clutch said:
130 in a 2000 cavilier is fun,

120 in a 1966 mustang is funner,

140 in a 1987 Merkur XR4Ti (heavily modded) is funnest!

I beg to differ... going over 100MPH in a 93 Nissan Micra is funniest...

not least because it's stupidly dangerous, but also because the needle reaches unchartered teritory on the clock as there are no marking past 100MPH!

Assuming that you have the correct conditions and control I don't really see a problem with speeding perse... though I realise the control aspect of that statement is open to opinion because different people have different ideas of control. I'm sure the driver of the porsche relied on all the electronics contained withint the car to do most of the actual driving for them.

faster experiance I had was in a car (porsche) with my boss... on a dual carrigeway. I could see the speedo, reached 100 on the down ramp, got up to around 200Mph, about 30 seconds later were breaking for the red light at the top of the exit ramp... which isn't bad from a standing startthe road was a little over a mile long...

and whilst I was sure that he could control the car, it was a little hair raising.

It's a shame. She's pretty too and only 18...

On the other hand, I don't have much pity for her. The fact is that she was driving 100 MPH when she shouldn't have been. You have almost no control of anything at those speeds regardless whether you're in a Porsche 911 or a Toyota Corolla. I'm just glad she didn't kill anyone else...

alvino said:
It's a shame. She's pretty too and only 18...

On the other hand, I don't have much pity for her. The fact is that she was driving 100 MPH when she shouldn't have been. You have almost no control of anything at those speeds regardless whether you're in a Porsche 911 or a Toyota Corolla. I'm just glad she didn't kill anyone else...

at least maybe if she wasn't in a carrera cabriolet her head might not have got crushed between that cement wall....i hate convertible tops for that reason cause they offer no protection in the case of a roll over.

When my dad handed me the keys to me the very first time he said "I'm giving you keys to a deadly weapon. The car can be a deadly weapon for both you and others if you do stupid things in it."

Ever since then I try my best to drive safely. I NEVER speed. Just need to get from A to B in one piece, that's it.

That's what I plan to do when I get my license. No speeding. Just as long as I get to my destination, I'm all good.

Ouch i didnt see the gory pics but hey there is a silver tC on the news pic!! :p i wanna c the puics im curiouse

Ð88 said:
at least maybe if she wasn't in a carrera cabriolet her head might not have got crushed between that cement wall....i hate convertible tops for that reason cause they offer no protection in the case of a roll over.

Even then, she may have died anyway. There is massive trauma

Capt%20Obvious%20Competition%20400.jpg

to her head. And judging from the way her brains were splattered all over the curb around the building, I'd bet even with a hard top she woulda died. It woulda been less gory, but the top of her head would have prolly been crushed in. At best she'd be a vegetable.

It said there in the story, she switched lanes suddenly and clipped the Civic. That's where she lost control. If you're gonna be dumb and go that fast, don't switch lanes without looking. She prolly didn't wanna slow down from someone in front of her and hit the other guy instead.

Here's a thought. She died in the crash, will the insurance co. still charge her parents and increase the rates? Maybe since she is no longer a potential driver, they'll lower the rates. I'd be pretty fuggin pissed if my kid died in an accident like that and they tried to charge me and increase my rates!!

Just so no one gets my posts twisted, I'm not making fun of her. I don't feel any pity for her. There were a million things she could have done to aviod this situation. The way I look at life is everything happens for a reason. Call it, Fate. My GF survived cancer twice and I'm gonna be a self-centered a$$hole and say she did so she would meet me. I got hit by a car (while walking) that was doing about 50 and ran a red light. I lived. It wasn't my time to go.

I don't believe in "God" either, as I have never seen any proof. I see and hear people daily in massive amounts of agony and pain, and these are good people, begging god to help them, to make the pain go away. He doesn't. He lets them suffer til they die. I believe the general direction of my life is etched. I decide exactly what choices I make and depending on what I choose, I either live out my life or die. Just like this young girl. Maybe it was the way things were supposed to be, maybe she was supposed to die that day. Maybe it was a bad choice that she made.

Clutch said:
I don't believe in "God" either, as I have never seen any proof. I see and hear people daily in massive amounts of agony and pain, and these are good people, begging god to help them, to make the pain go away. He doesn't. He lets them suffer til they die. I believe the general direction of my life is etched. I decide exactly what choices I make and depending on what I choose, I either live out my life or die. Just like this young girl. Maybe it was the way things were supposed to be, maybe she was supposed to die that day. Maybe it was a bad choice that she made.

It appears you have the exact same outlook on life that I have. I have to agree with you that judging by the way things play out, it almost appears that we have little choice over our ultimate fates. It's as if right from the beginning, our lives have been predetermined. I believe we are destined, from the beginning, to reach whatever ends that become of us.

You are right that the girl probably would not have lived anyway but just maybe her fate would have been altered if the car simply did not have a soft convertible top. It's just another "what if" suggestion like what if she collided with the civic a second earlier maybe the car would have avoided hitting the wall. But those kinds of thoughts are irrelevant because it was already preordained that she would die that day. There was no chance of preventing anything because if there was then she would still be alive and well. It really makes you think and in a sense feel vulnerable and at the mercy of whatever forces act upon our lives each and every day. Almost unnerving if you ask me but ultimately it's about accepting our fates.

Back
Top Bottom