Grahpics card for £140?

k0409964

In Runtime
By brother wants a new grx card for xmas for around the £140 mark, just to get him through a couple of years till DX10 cards come down in price!

He was thinking of getting the Gforce 7600gt, is this a good card or are there any other cards you guys would recomend..

thanks for your help as always....

A 7600GT is a good card indeed. But if you've got the whole £140 to spend, you could probably get an even better card. Though I've never heard of Misco.co.uk before, I haven't heard much of really any UK computer components store. It looks good enough. I've found a couple cards to have a look at, if you want to spend some more money than just the 7600GT.

GeForce 7900GS

Radeon X1900GT

Those 2 fit into your budget nicely from the looks of it. They're about the same performance-wise. The X1900GT has nearly twice the pixel shader pipelines (36; 20 for the 7900) with a significantly higher clock speed (575MHz vs. 450), but it has 12 texture units as opposed to the 7900GS's 20. So it's really a tradeoff between the two, as everything about the memory is close to the same. I don't know how much the reduction in texture units will really hurt it, but the pixel pipelines will definitely be a big benefit. If I had to guess, I'd say the X1900GT is better, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see the 7900GS with better benchmarks. But then again, you could always stick with the cheaper 7600GT and get good performance in games without having to break the bank. Just one word of advice though: Don't skimp out and get a 7600GS. It's nothing like the GT; it's not bad, but I guarantee it'll be worth the money to upgrade from GS to GT.

And sorry, but I don't have a link for the 7600GT. I wish you luck in finding one. :D

EDIT: And also, another to consider (if it fits in the price range) is the X1950PRO. I couldn't find one on that site.

Thanks very much that is most helpful!!!

Does anybody else have any thoughts on what card my bro should get?

well if it's possible to pay a little extra to get the x1950xt then definitely go for it. Or then a 7900GT if it fits in your budget. I've heard that the x1950xt is very good, but haven't personally tested it. The 7900GT is definitely a great card, and I prefer nVidia instead of Ati. But that's just personal preference, I've always used nVidia and everytime I have gotten a great item for a great price. Also since I'm using linux I don't even concider ati a possibility due to nVidias superior linux support.

The 7600GT is a good card too, but it's already having problems running the most demanding games on max settings.

Back
Top Bottom