Need a little help on a Hp Pavilion a510n

jguitarp00

Baseband Member
Im trying to jump this HP computer for a friend of mine. I know from past experiences that I used to be able to jump a computer by switching the resiotr over one spot for about 15 seconds. Now when im looking this motherboard i see no resistors to switch around, and also I heard that with this new motherboard that you have to do something esle.

The reason I am doing this is because that everytime that I want to turn on the Computer it says that it is missing a file sayin the system config.

I want to install the Windows 200 cd that i currently have.

PLease let me kno what I can do. thanks

i don't know what the heck you mean by switching "resistors" around, i assume u mean jumpers and your talking about the cmos jumper. if this is the case and you can't find it, just take out the cmos battery and unplug the computer for like 5 minutes. this will clear the cmos and and reset the bios to factory settings. if you missing a file you should think about running a windows repair (which i think you can do in 2000, can't remember for sure). if you are just trying to install a new os then you just need to get it to boot from the cd before the hdd, this can be found under boot sequence in the bios. if you need anymore help lemme know and if this is way off base you may want to give a little more detail and be more clear about what your trying to do.

I tried the boot sequence but no luck. All it said was insert boot disk and it was in. I tried all cd drives.

I cant seem to find the battery. I think im looking at it, but it doesnt look like my other battery in my other computer. I cant take it out of the board, its like if it was intergrated into the board. Do you think It would be under the fan??

Im trying to fix this as soon as i can so I can go to sleep

Thanks,
Jp

Found the battery. it was hidden under a bunch of cab;es. thought i looked everywhere :confused:

Ok what do I do now I let it sit w/o the battery for a few min now. I have the Windows 2000 cd that I would like to install.

What are my next steps. I havnt done this in a while. I did it once and taht was like 4 yrs ago, and now I forgot

Thanks,
Jp

for doing the windows install your boot sequence should be(just for clarification)
cd-rom
hard drive
whatever else

it sounds like your having trouble getting it to boot from the cd drive. change the boot setting to that and have the cd in when booting and hit enter when it says
Press any key to boot from cd..... or what ever. are you getting this far at least?

xtremezx2 said:
for doing the windows install your boot sequence should be(just for clarification)
cd-rom
hard drive
whatever else

it sounds like your having trouble getting it to boot from the cd drive. change the boot setting to that and have the cd in when booting and hit enter when it says
Press any key to boot from cd..... or what ever. are you getting this far at least?

2nd that
all you really need is you CD-rom set as the first boot device bro,

You dont need to be pulling batteries and trying to "JUMP" the computer ,,,

do you mean clear bios you know seting the clock and all other things in bios to the orginal state?

xtremezx2 said:
cd-rom
hard drive
whatever else

I have been changing the boot sequence for a while now. I even put the hard drive in diasable.

When I put the sequence in 1.)cd-rom then 2.) Hard drive.
It will load up then go straight to the options where I can choose to do safe mode.

When I disable the hard drive it seems to work best, but an error message comes up saying "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk And Press Enter"

I already had the cd in the drive so i pressed enter and nothering. I also tried the other cd drive..

Also I cannot go into any kind of safe mode. or command promt, b/c it says its missing the system config file.

Thanks,
Jp

Back
Top Bottom