What's everyones job?

parismouton said:
hmm, left school at 17 to start an apprentiship with Marconi as a radar/electronic technician. i moved a few hundred miles, paid for a flat and the week before i was to start they went belly up!!!! so i was stuck with no money nor job. spend the next few years in hotels/anything just to earn money. at 23 i met a french girl and then we moved to gai paris. i spoke no french so got a job in a english speaking bar for 4 years.
got very lucky when a best mate managed to get me into the software localisation dept for Business Objects- that was it, back into the 'real world' as far as i was concerned, the company was growing so fast then i seemed to be promoted every 6 months. did that for 4 years, then went self employed in the UK and France as pc tech/system admin.

today i am sitting on my fat bum preparing for a big IT sales interview in Amsterdam.

i get the feeling that i can never sit still!

Well ya have been around mate :) You still with the French girl?

nope, and never marry one! they take off with some guy from work :D
still see my ex a few times per year though, things are fine between us.

In the UK, there was a big push on people going to university at about the time when I went, and with it came a huge flux of useless degrees, just so people could go to university, the whole message was that to succeed you had to have a degree....

The emphasis was taken off the apprenticeships, and the value of those jobs as viewed in society was such as it was deemed manual labour, the eradication of the class system (supposedly) led to people being snobbish about the manual jobs such as a chippy, plumber, etc....yet those jobs earn more then I will earn, and I am pretty good morning.

Now days, there is a renewed push to get people interested in the more hands on work, as there are so many people that spend a few years at university and are unemployed and are finding it really dfficult to get a job....

Its sad really, recognising the fact that different people have different skills but equally those skills are just as valuable, and without them, then we find that modern society is lacking in certain areas, and hence this whole thing with the EC opening up, and people coming over to the UK and taking up any jobs they can find, because most of the time, people are thinking that the job is beneath them.......

GlasseyeUK said:
In the UK, there was a big push on people going to university at about the time when I went, and with it came a huge flux of useless degrees, just so people could go to university, the whole message was that to succeed you had to have a degree....

...SNIP...

Very true. There is a similar view here. You need to have college to get a good paying job. BS! look at the majority of the millionaires in the world. Most of them came from poor families, most of them didn't graduate highschool and fewer went to college. They all had ideas and drive to do things. They also knew not to go out and spend every red cent they made.

Here's a cool story for you. Col. Sanders, when making his business propisition, was told over 100 times "No", before he got someone to agree to become a "partner" of sorts with him.

How many times hearing "no" would it take before you gave up on your dream?

Clutch said:
You need to have college to get a good paying job. BS!
I can't agree more!!, in Britain, year after year, our universities & colleges churn out thousands & thousands of guys & gals, with large students loans to pay back, running into thousands, on to the unsuspecting world whether there's jobs for them or not, result, hundreds more on the dole each month, plus a lot of over educated bin men, road sweepers, lavatory attendants etc, I never went to college or university, & I think I got on alright.

kyleman999 said:
M&M Meat Shops
Purely canadian :D
I looked them up, seems very good on the surface, founded in 1982 by two Canadians, mainly small outlets in strip malls, at the last count 420 outlets across Canadada, & still growing, one odd claim to fame, they made the world's longest sausage, 46 kilometres!!! no, not metres, try getting that in your frying pan!, did you know these statistics?
jawdown.gif

Brookfield said:
I can't agree more!!, in Britain, year after year, our universities & colleges churn out thousands & thousands of guys & gals, with large students loans to pay back, running into thousands, on to the unsuspecting world whether there's jobs for them or not, result, hundreds more on the dole each month, plus a lot of over educated bin men, road sweepers, lavatory attendants etc, I never went to college or university, & I think I got on alright.

Yeah, that's the other thing that screws everyone up! People get out of college and have these huge student loans to pay back and they pay thill they are in their 60's+!! It's nuts! These people get out, but can't really move on!

Clutch said:
Yeah, that's the other thing that screws everyone up! People get out of college and have these huge student loans to pay back and they pay thill they are in their 60's+!! It's nuts! These people get out, but can't really move on!

mmm, thank god for free education...

Back
Top Bottom