Need a New Monitor.....Widescreen or Not?

FryJet

Solid State Member
Hey all, my first post here, great forum. Im going to upgrade to a 20" LCD and I dont know if I should go widescreen or not. I currently have a 19" Viewsonic CRT and it has been a great trouble free monitor but its a big pig on my desk so I need to upgrade. I mostly use my computer for internet, photo and music files and light gaming. I dont know anyone with a widescreen that I can check out and actually use so I dont know if it would be of any benifit to go wide or just stay standard. I've been checking them out at retailers but I cant sit down and actualy use it there as I would at home. I guess what im getting at is what advantge if any would I see with a w/s? I just dont want my desktop to be all stretched out and goofy looking, if that sounds right...lol. My card with the current Catalyst driver supports 1680x1050 which is what most of the 20"' widescreens seem to take so I guess im good there. Im looking at the LG, Viewsonic and the Samsung, any opinions would be appritiated. Thanks and keep up the great info on the site.
Chris

ya i think you should definitely go widescreen. they just look better than standard in my opinion, and you have much more viewing area than standard monitors. for example, on web pages, i dont remember the last time i had to scroll from side to side (i have a widescreen). and in photo editing programs it's much better because there is more room for toolbars on the side. for video editing, its much much better because you can view more of the time line at once. Basically the only downside in my opinion is some games wont support the widescreen resolutions but most games out today will support it probably.

Before i bought my Full screen i tired both widescreen and Fullscreen,

And decided for gaming i dont like the stretched feeling of widescreen i father have the full box.

I have had my LCD for a few weeks now and i love it.

I went from 19" CRT to 19" LCD and its so much bigger too :D

LambOfGod said:
I went from 19" CRT to 19" LCD and its so much bigger too :D

Probably because they changed the rules since then that 19" had to quote the viewable area, whereas before, this wasn't the case.

I'm still not sure if Widescreen would be worth it. Viewing two documents side by side is useful, but I still think some programs/games would look very weird, and some games you play may not be compatable with it.

Unless theres settings to go into normal when in a game like that, which would of course leave black on the sides.

Widescreen is worth it if you have the hardware horsepower. You'll love having multiple windows or watching movies on a widescreen. Gaming can be really fun too, but expect to lose some frames due to the increased LCD panel space.

Kage said:
Probably because they changed the rules since then that 19" had to quote the viewable area, whereas before, this wasn't the case.

I'm still not sure if Widescreen would be worth it. Viewing two documents side by side is useful, but I still think some programs/games would look very weird, and some games you play may not be compatable with it.

Unless theres settings to go into normal when in a game like that, which would of course leave black on the sides.

Yep , i know i love the new rules :D

i have both a viewsonic 20inch wide screen(1680x1050) and a viewsonic 20 inch standard (1600x1200). to be honest the wide screen kind of looks squished at first, but its a LOT of fun for movies and videos. the 1600x1200 actually looks so much like a widescreen that it makes for the best resolution (for me).
I personally love the 1600x1200 configuration, it gives the best of both worlds. and you can still view two windows with ease side by side.

Well, I went to some stores and checked them out and I think i'm going to go with a Samsung but im still not sure if I want the wide or normal. The samsung had the clearest screen out of them all, hands down.
Here's the widescreen.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16824001087
Here's the normal.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16824001226
The w/s is less money but the specs arent quite as good as the normal. By the reviews though it seems like people really like it and its a pretty good deal for a w/s. I might just give it a shot and if I dont like it i'll just off it and get the reg screen. Hmmmmm, what to do.
F.J

hm yeah i have a 19 inch lcd and im thinkin bout sellin it for a bigger widescreen.
but i play steam games alot, and idk if it streches out or not. and on my laptop it has different res with widescreen and my desktobp dosnt have wide res.

Back
Top Bottom