CMD shutdown procedure

Mattyl110792

Daemon Poster
Hey,

I am trying to use the following command in cmd prompt using Win XP...

SHUTDOWN -m \\MUSIC -s

Where MUSIC = the name of a remote pc.....

When i hit enter on my pc it comes up Access Is Denied, and i would like to know what i need to change on MUSIC to grant access to this....

Thanks,

Matt

you could try enabling remote access on //Music

1. Go to Music
2. Right click My Computer --> properties
3. Remote --> and click allow users to connect (while adding your computer name to the access list)

I never tried it, but maybe that'll help you.

Regards,
elmonomalo

lol, so close yet so far, the command worked fine, but prompts me for a password (Username greyed out as "MUSIC\Guest") which Guest doenst have a password, so i pushed enter and nothing, added a password to the Guest accound, still nothing...thanks again

Matt

There are actually -u and -p arguments you can add.

so just
C:\Document/and/Settings\(your username)\Desktop\beyondexec.exe \\Music -u Administrator -p -d Shutdown|PowerOff

Hope it works now,
elmonomalo :)

I'm probably doing something wrong, but it comes up with the login box saying User: Administrator...ive tried numerous password possibilities, and still cant get it working...:(

Matt

Mattyl110792 said:
lol, so close yet so far, the command worked fine, but prompts me for a password (Username greyed out as "MUSIC\Guest") which Guest doenst have a password, so i pushed enter and nothing, added a password to the Guest accound, still nothing...thanks again

Matt

Aha... figured it out. You must change a setting under Administrative tools on Music.

Go to Administrative Tools --> Local Security Settings --> Local Policies --> Security Options --> Network Access: Sharing and security model for local accounts

change the setting to Classic.

Also make sure the Administrator on the Music computer has a password. The command when all this is set up should be

C:\Document and Settings\(your username)\Desktop\beyondexec.exe \\Music -u Administrator -p (password) -d Shutdown|PowerOff

you can also use the -i command if you please but it should work as written above.

(I am now going to bed... lol. I'll check up later to confirm)

Regards,
elmonomalo.

elmonomalo said:
Aha... figured it out. You must change a setting under Administrative tools on Music.

Go to Administrative Tools --> Local Security Settings --> Local Policies --> Security Options --> Network Access: Sharing and security model for local accounts

change the setting to Classic.

Also make sure the Administrator on the Music computer has a password. The command when all this is set up should be

C:\Document and Settings\(your username)\Desktop\beyondexec.exe \\Music -u Administrator -p (password) -d Shutdown|PowerOff

you can also use the -i command if you please but it should work as written above.

(I am now going to bed... lol. I'll check up later to confirm)

Regards,
elmonomalo.

Great, thats got it...now one last question :p....it may sound petty, but when it shuts down is gives a 1 minute timer before shutting down, i was wondering if there was a way to avoid the timer??

Thanks a heap,

Matt

EDIT: nvm...i used the -l command

Hey,

Sorry about the double post...but didn't want to start a new topic....

Anyways, i had to reformat the MUSIC pc as there were some complications, and when i loaded XP back on and i think ive put all the settings that were there back, when i try to use the shutdown command now, it says the following....

BeyondExec Service (rexesvr.exe) copy failed.
Error 0x4C3: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again..
Cannot Open Service Control Manager on remote machine.
Error: 0x005: Access Is Denied.

At first i thoguht it was my pc playing up, but upon trying on another computer, i get the same error...any suggestions?

Matt

Back
Top Bottom