Trying to hit 2.6ghz with venice

my mobo is supposed to be bad at overclocking but it works somehow. Right now my 3200+ venice is at 2.7ghz, just took the fsb up there and left the multiplier at 10, voltage at 1.5125, and the ram overclocks itself.

ok so it looks like my ram is holding me back (thats what i thought in the first place) but then how come underclocking the ram dosen't fix that problem?

If you underclock the ram your gonna get a bottleneck so the rest of the system will slow down

Raffaz said:
If you underclock the ram your gonna get a bottleneck so the rest of the system will slow down

and so it might be possible (at least in theory to me) that differences in speeds between RAM and CPU (the bottleneck) creates such an imbalance that it is likely some instability may occur at the higher clockspeeds. Memory plays an important role in overclocking so it is crucial from the get go that if you intend to overclock at high levels then the memory be good quality (unfortunately that means expensive). This is probably the reason why you are unable to hit the 2.6GHz mark.

And to answer your other previous question, A 1:1 timing is good to keep between the FSB and the memory clock, so yeah if your FSB is @ 255MHz then your memory should be clocked at 255MHz as well (in fact, i know a lot of motherboards will keep this timing automatically).

If you want to run your processor at 2.6ghz you will need to drop your memory divider. Because when you are running a 333 divider at 260mhz FSB your memory will be running at 216.5mhz which value ram usually cant handle. The other thing is try loosening your timings. Drop your CAS to 3, that might help.

Also to other people, if you dont know what you are talking about why post? You know who I'm talking to.

I know your prolly talking about me... thats an asshole thing to say too... so what if i dont know alot about it, i know some... i just giving him some more info. and i was right wasnt i... it is his ram, you said it youself... so go fuck yourself, i hate people like you

Amish Kid is right on this one. If you know how the K8's work, memory clock doesnt do jack. To find out your cpu max oc. Set your divider to DDR200 or 166. This way your RAM speed is very low. Now crank the vcore to 1.6V, HTT to 3x and go up on the HTT. Once you can't go any hight, you can either pump more voltage, or keep it that way. Then use SP2004 to test for stability. Now, if its not stable, you know its your cpu, because your RAM clocks are low. After that you can run RAM 1:1 or whatever ratio you want. It doesnt matter. Running your RAM slower than your HTT doesnt affect performance, and if it does, its only at max 1%.

So Ð88, this isnt the Pentium age anymore with a need to run at least a 1:1 ratio.

The Amish Kid said:
Also to other people, if you dont know what you are talking about why post? You know who I'm talking to.

STFU...seriously

ownage said:
Amish Kid is right on this one. If you know how the K8's work, memory clock doesnt do jack. To find out your cpu max oc. Set your divider to DDR200 or 166. This way your RAM speed is very low. Now crank the vcore to 1.6V, HTT to 3x and go up on the HTT. Once you can't go any hight, you can either pump more voltage, or keep it that way. Then use SP2004 to test for stability. Now, if its not stable, you know its your cpu, because your RAM clocks are low. After that you can run RAM 1:1 or whatever ratio you want. It doesnt matter. Running your RAM slower than your HTT doesnt affect performance, and if it does, its only at max 1%.

So Ð88, this isnt the Pentium age anymore with a need to run at least a 1:1 ratio.

that's cool man, i was only trying to figure things out myself because i never said any of what i suggested was for sure in my last post. In fact i was waiting for someone to post who knew for sure what they were talking about so thanks. You helped me out to understand things a little better now. :)

FINALLY! I got 1.6, I think it was changing the cas to 3, either that or changing the ht to 3x. Either way I still got it. Now im going to mess around with the timings and clocks to find a good overclock. I will probaly be looking into faster memory so i still have two more questions.

1: Can I use ddr2 in my motherboard?
2: Not having a 1:1 fsb:ram makes what kind of effect on performance on my system?

edit: almost forgot one more question, do i go by the vcore voltage in my bios or in cpuz? in my bios it says 1.550 and in cpuz it says 1.600.

Thanks alot to everyone for helping me, cf is the best.

Vcore bios or cpu-z....neither. DMM ;) (digital multi meter)
1. You can't use DDR2 in your motherboard as the Venice IMC only supports DDR.
2. Not have a 1:1 ratio will probably not affect performance. If it does at MOST it is going to be 1% compared to running 1:1.

D88, Intel's need to run 1:1 at least becuase they still use the northbridge as the memory controller. AMD processors on the other hand use a integrated memory controller (IMC) so latencies between the processor and memory controller is basically nonexistant. Thats why you dont need a high clock speed for the RAM as with stock RAM speeds, the available bandwidth is more than enough for the processor so the cpu won't be starved of bandwidth.

Back
Top Bottom