Have a pretty simple question!

Milkandrelish

Solid State Member
I am buying a new Dell Dimension and have a few questions...

I have an older 256 MB nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra GTO from dell, is that better than the 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro? Will the PCI-e card fit in the new Dell Dimension E520?

Also, I have 2 sticks of 512 MB ram. If I got 2 DIMMs of 1G in my new desktop, would i be able to use the 2 DIMMs of 512 ass well? (assuming there are 2 available DIMMs in the desktop)

THANKS! :p

1. the 6800 ultra is better. Yes it will work.
2. what kinda ram? The dimension E520 uses ddr2-533mhz.

Let's see, the RAM says 512 MB- 1Rx8 -PC2- 3200- U- 333- 10- A1

I got it from a Dell Dimension 8400

I'm guessing it wont work because of the speed?

It will probably work. As far as I can tell it's ddr2 400mhz ram. So it will work, but the thing is, when you put that 400mhz ram in all of the ram sticks will be forced to run at 400mhz, since they all have to use the same speed. Usually the mobo automatically makes them all run at the speed of the slowest one. So you can either use more ram with slower speed, or less ram with faster speed.

raffaz: I was guessing ddr2 since it says pc2 3200
But I'm not sure about this.

mammikoura said:
It will probably work. As far as I can tell it's ddr2 400mhz ram. So it will work, but the thing is, when you put that 400mhz ram in all of the ram sticks will be forced to run at 400mhz, since they all have to use the same speed. Usually the mobo automatically makes them all run at the speed of the slowest one. So you can either use more ram with slower speed, or less ram with faster speed.

raffaz: I was guessing ddr2 since it says pc2 3200
But I'm not sure about this.

Yeah i double checked on dell website and your correct :)

Bummer, well probably not a good idea, then.

One more question: If I order the new Dell with integrated video, will there be a slot where I can just stick the 6800 in or is there anything else involved?

Yeah, there should be a PCI-E slot where you can fit it in, then plug your monitor etc into that one instead of the onboard, and you should be good to go..

Matt

Mattyl110792 said:
Yeah, there should be a PCI-E slot where you can fit it in, then plug your monitor etc into that one instead of the onboard, and you should be good to go..

Matt

Thanks man,
if anyone can confirm this, that would be great. Not to discount your credibility, Matt :D

Milkandrelish said:
Thanks man,
if anyone can confirm this, that would be great. Not to discount your credibility, Matt :D

yes, the E520 has a 1 pci-e slot. And go to the bios and disable the onboard vid card, and make pci-e is the #1 graphics source. You might not need to do these, depends on the bios.

Back
Top Bottom