Microsoft will cripple PCs running pirated copies of Vista

We all thought that Microsoft was asking for trouble when the company announced previously that it would be including all the versions of Windows Vista on a single DVD, setting the stage for those in the know to crack the disc and save themselves some cash by installing Ultimate when they likely bought (ok, probably pirated via BitTorrent) a Vista DVD. Well, Microsoft has fired the first salvo in this war on pirates -- according to The Associated Press, the Redmond crew will be taking "much harsher steps to curtail piracy" than in years past. First, the company will "deny access" to some of the "most anticipated features," including Windows Aero, the new GUI. Then, Vista will start issuing ransom demands (we're not kidding about this part), demanding that a legitimate copy be bought within 30 days, or else. What would such consequences entail? How about limiting Web access to an hour at a time? Further, what about not being able to open documents from the desktop or "run other programs such as Outlook e-mail software" ? However, the article goes on to say: "Microsoft said it won't stop a computer running pirated Vista software from working completely, and it will continue to deliver critical security updates." So for those of you keeping score, Microsoft wants to make using your computer as miserable as possible, while keeping it as "safe" as possible, ok? Now, if we were betting types, we'd guess that the odds are pretty favorable that this anti-piracy measure will be defeated just as fast as PlaysForSure was.

Source!
http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/04/microsoft-will-cripple-pcs-running-pirated-copies-of-vista/

This bites for all you software pirates laughing out loud, o well as me for me i am nto going to bother with Vista its probally going to be horrible and way to much for my Crapy! Gpu

Heh, they should have never pirated anything in the first place. It's the way MS wants to inplant it. Free OSes will be a big hit.

Brilliant post Nate.

Just buy the genuine stuff people... Its not fair that you all want to crack it and what not... then you get annoyed with MS when they put computers into this reduced functionality mode... If you want free software go use linux... and like, goodluck with running pirated vista... your all going to need keys, genuine ones... also

corp keys will need to be activated once every 180 days otherwise they go into reduced functionality mode... they are blocking all these ways around it... buy the genuine....

i'm glad they're doing this, they really need to put an end to internet piracy like this, and it isn't fair for legitimate users to receive the same quality os's for 150-300 dollars as other people who cracked it for free.

I will admit the only pirated software that I have is photoshop because I didn't feel like spending 900+$ on it, As for the rest of my software Genuine :)
Natalya Welcome back

all my software is legitimate, I've pirated software before but didn't feel right about it so i uninstalled it. Even photoshop, I just use GIMP which is fine for me.

This is another reason I won't be getting vista, it seems like they're too paranoid about their software being pirated but what can you expect when you charge 400 dollars for it? as for me, if I am keeping my PC I'm going to go with linux since there are a lot of free versions, or I'll get a mac (and possibly dual boot with linux). My microsoft days are numbered, seems like they're (microsoft) trying to get more of the consumer's money and all they care about is milking the cash cow.

Of course this is all just my opinion, I'm not trying to start a flame war, I'm just sharing my opinions.

Natalya said:
Just buy the genuine stuff people... Its not fair that you all want to crack it and what not... then you get annoyed with MS when they put computers into this reduced functionality mode... If you want free software go use linux... and like, goodluck with running pirated vista... your all going to need keys, genuine ones... also

corp keys will need to be activated once every 180 days otherwise they go into reduced functionality mode... they are blocking all these ways around it... buy the genuine....

I hate to say it, but XP was supposed to be uncrackable and look what happened, anything is possible. Vista just might be harder to crack then XP, but it will happen. And I have to admit, I'll be using a pirated version. I'm not shelling out like $400+ for an OS, that's just crazy.

Toby said:
I hate to say it, but XP was supposed to be uncrackable and look what happened, anything is possible. Vista just might be harder to crack then XP, but it will happen. And I have to admit, I'll be using a pirated version. I'm not shelling out like $400+ for an OS, that's just crazy.
Yeah I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. If they made windows more affordable I would pay for it but $200 is just too much. I will try a pirated version and if that doesn't work out then maybe I will find money to buy the real version.

The Amish Kid said:
Yeah I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. If they made windows more affordable I would pay for it but $200 is just too much. I will try a pirated version and if that doesn't work out then maybe I will find money to buy the real version.

I agree. But then again, vista seems to be mainly eye candy. The security features at first seemed promising but it doesn't seem as secure as they make it out to be. I think that if they worked on that a lot more, I'd pay the 400 dollars.

As for me, I'm actually using fedora linux as I type this, I have a second hard drive and I swap in and out between windows and linux, linux offers a lot more safety and stability for free than microsoft does for 200 dollars plus. Of course no OS is immune from threats, linux just has less issues than microsoft does in that dept.

Back
Top Bottom