Computer won't boot up - Zero Activity

DEccles

Baseband Member
So a couple weeks ago my PS exploded, and seemed to have taken my MoBo with it, because after buying a new case & PS I still got nothing...

The MoBo light turned on, but when pressing the power button nothing happened: no fans, no noise, no beep codes, nothing. The general consensus was that my MoBo was fried also. So, I returned the MoBo as it was fairly new, and tonight I recieved the replacement.

However, when I put this MoBo in and hooked everything up, the same thing happened: NOTHING.

Again the MoBo light is the only signal I recieve and nothing more. I checked and rechecked connections, cleared the CMOS, tried starting without the Hard Drive, DVD-ROM, Video Card or RAM connected, even hooked up the power switch from my old case's front panel. Nothing had any effect.

Also, while I was waiting for my new MoBo to arrive I put my hard drive in my friend's computer to test it, and the hard drive is working fine. But I couldn't test anything else out as the components aren't compatable with his MoBo.

The components are as follows:
Antec Mid-Tower with SmartPower 350W PS
Abit GD8 Pro MoBo
Intel P4 560J 3.6Mhz 1Mb 800Mhz with Prescott Core Socket 775
Two Dual Channel DDR2 PC2-4200 533Mhz 1Mb sticks of RAM w/ heat sinks
GeForce 7300 GT 512Mb
Some old crappy 80Gb hard drive

I'm out of ideas. I'm not even getting it to boot enough to the point of getting a beep code to pursue. I wouldn't guess that it's the PS as it's new and at least gets the MoBo light going. The MoBo is also new, and the rest of the parts are relatively new too.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions that'd be great. I really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Well, my only advice is to get a working computer and try the different parts in it to figure out what is bad.

Yea, I agree. Unfortunately of my three roomates, two of them have laptops and the other's MoBo isn't compatable with any of my new components.

DEccles said:
Yea, I agree. Unfortunately of my three roomates, two of them have laptops and the other's MoBo isn't compatable with any of my new components.
Hmm, you could always take it to some computer place since they have all the testing equipment required. But prepare to pay a lot, if you choose to do that.

Not a bad test to try. I was told that the only things that would prevent my computer from turning on at all were the PSU or a fried MoBo. So perhaps my assumption that my new PSU is functional is a bad one.

Bob94571 said:
are you completely postive that the power switch connector is on the mobo properly?

you could try this and make sure the PSU wasnt a DOA: http://modtown.co.uk/mt/article2.php?id=psumod

I do that with all my PSU before i hook my stuff up to them... just for that reason

If you're going to try this suggestion be certain that you are connecting the correct wires because if you do it wrong and the PSU was fine...well it won't be fine for long after that. Just a precaution.

So after returning home from Thanksgiving dinner I stole my roomates power supply and tried that... and wallah! Started up fine. I also noticed that the Main Power Connection is completely missing the white wire 3rd from the right... I don't know anything about PSU details, but neither my roomates nor my old fried one are missing their white wire.

If I had to guess I'd say that could be a problem... Looks like it never was my mobo, so waiting 2 weeks for a new one was a waste. That's what I get from buying a case and PSU from Best Buy. Anyway, if anyone wants to confirm that a missing white molex wire is bad, feel free. Otherwise enjoy the rest of your thanksgiving, and thanks for everyone's help.

Back
Top Bottom