You're Not Old Unless You Can Remember...

setishock said:
Yeah and the days when the whole neibourhood watched out for all the kids. Folks then didn't hesitate to correct you even if you were some one else's kid. Then call your folks and give them the lowdown on what happened. You got it 10 times worse than if you confessed on your own. I loved that even though it cost me a few whippings. At least I knew my back was being watched.
And the days of real gentlemen have died. You don't often see men opening doors for ladies or holding the chair while the lady sits down.
Pity, those were the good old days...
I can relate to all of that, they say what comes round, goes round, not this, these standards wiill never be back, but as I've seen here so far, all is not lost!

Trivium Nate said:
i am old because I remember all of that god lord those were the good ol days! i miss them

Nate, i am a few months older than you and I didn't experience any of those things.

Ð88 said:
Nate, i am a few months older than you and I didn't experience any of those things.

I'm prolly older than both of you and I only remember a few!!

Seti, I have to disagree with you, partially. I don't see much door opening by other men for their women either, but I do see it here and there and most certianly do it myself. I actually have to yell at my GF from time to time about opening the door. She only does it to break my chops. LOL!! I always let a lady go first, with the exception of the soccer moms trying to do 15 under the speed limit in the fast lane! :D

Yeah, I remember some of those too. Mainly the television ones. When I was a little kid we had 3 channels and yes, you had to get up to change the channel.

No video games and no computers in my house, not even cable (3 channels as I mentioned above). When I was a kid we played outside with the neighbor kids in the summertime riding our bikes and playing in the yard and woods. Not like the kids today, you can't pry them from their video games and the computer to go outside to get some fresh air.

Of course, I'm only 26 though.

setishock said:
Yeah and the days when the whole neibourhood watched out for all the kids. Folks then didn't hesitate to correct you even if you were some one else's kid. Then call your folks and give them the lowdown on what happened. You got it 10 times worse than if you confessed on your own. I loved that even though it cost me a few whippings. At least I knew my back was being watched.
And the days of real gentlemen have died. You don't often see men opening doors for ladies or holding the chair while the lady sits down.
Pity, those were the good old days...

I think I'm probably one of the few people my age who will hold a door open for somebody still. I remember when I was in baskin robbins not too long ago an eldely lady was in front of us and she was leaving and her hands were full and she couldn't open the door on her own and nobody else was going to help her, I didn't notice this until I turned my head from the menu and went to help her.

I also remember when I was young we lived in a neighborhood where everybody knew one another, looked out for one another and always said hi to eachother and talked. Not the case anymore, I don't even know my neighbors, I know their name and that's it. Seems like everybody on our street is hostile.

I personally would have liked to see how things were when Brookfield and Seti grew up, I bet it was a whole lot different and they wouldn't get away with some of the stuff that our generation gets away with (and I think that's a good thing).

I still open/hold doors for people, say please and thank you, excuse me and am polite to people in the super market. If someone drops something in front of me, I'll pick it up for them. If an elderly person needs help carrying something I'm glad to help out. I've even helped a blind person cross the street before by letting him put his hand on my shoulder and telling him when to step off/on the curb.

Treat others as you would have them treat you, thats what I always say.

Clutch said:
I'm prolly older than both of you and I only remember a few!!

Seti, I have to disagree with you, partially. I don't see much door opening by other men for their women either, but I do see it here and there and most certianly do it myself. I actually have to yell at my GF from time to time about opening the door. She only does it to break my chops. LOL!! I always let a lady go first, with the exception of the soccer moms trying to do 15 under the speed limit in the fast lane! :D
At 22, you're only 2 years younger than Tommy Boy, & it looks like you are quite courteous! :)

Tommy Boy said:
He is 4 years younger than I, I am 26

Only til March! I have to tell my GF that all the time too.

I try my best. I hold the door whenever I can, for whoever I can.

Back
Top Bottom