Computer can't see primary DC

Dsrt

Baseband Member
I have one computer running Windows XP Pro on our network that cannot communicate with our primary DC Windows 2003 Server.

It has no problem connecting to our backup DC Win2k Server or any other server on our network. I removed the computer from the domain and tried to readd it only to find out that it would error out saying it could not contact any domain controllers. I added the computer manually on the DC itself, rebooted the PC and then I could add it to the domain.

I can log onto any server or computer on our network from that computer using the network login, except the primary domain controller.

Any questions, feel free to ask. I've tried several things to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

if you ping YourDomainName.com what do you get? it shuld be an internal address ... like a DC.

what do you get when you ping yourDC.YourDomainName.com

sounds like bad dns on your client pc.

I can ping the DC fine. I have the computer set to DHCP which holds the DNS information, I've cleared the ARP cache, checked both hosts and lmhosts files, they're clean.

Everything but the primary DC shows up in network neighborhood. I will, however, go over the DNS stuff some more. This computer was an experimental computer a year or so ago so I'm wondering if maybe they went into the registry and made some modifications that would effect it. We have other computers that are identical to this one and were actually bought at the same time that don't have a problem at all.

Thanks for the response. I'd have responded sooner, but turkey day and all. lol

perhaps you have differing dns records on each of the dns servers?

when you say comunicate .. what do you mean? if you unplug the working dc you cant login, change passwords, ect? or you cant fileshare?

perhaps fileshare is disabled in tcp-ip settings?

bilbus said:
perhaps you have differing dns records on each of the dns servers?

when you say comunicate .. what do you mean? if you unplug the working dc you cant login, change passwords, ect? or you cant fileshare?

perhaps fileshare is disabled in tcp-ip settings?

That would be correct. As it stands now, I am authenticating through the "backup" DC which is running Win2k Server. If that server wasn't on, I would not be able to authenticate to the network on this computer.

If I go into network neighborhood on this particular computer, I can see all the computers and servers on the network, including the primary DC. If I double click on that primary DC, it tells me that it cannot locate that computer.

I am running several Windows 2003 Servers, but this is the only one I cannot communicate with. If I try logging on through the command line (\\computername\sharename), it pops up the authentication box, but when I put in the administrative user/pass, it tells me I don't have permission to log on to that resource.

Hope that information helps. I'm wondering if some changes were made to the registry before my time here. I'm getting really close to wiping and reinstalling. lol

Thanks.

if you goto the effected server and do \\BadServer what do you get?

I know you cant do it from another computer but how about localy?

Back
Top Bottom