Potential damage to laptop

novahifi

Baseband Member
When I left my laptop in my room yesterday some workmen went in and covered everything with plaster, dust, grit and stones. Some of it seems to have got into the laptop. Is there any way of getting it out of the laptop without damaging the machine. I have a miniatature vacuum cleaner supposedly designed for the task, but it's not picking it up at all.

Try getting a can of compressed air and get between all the cracks. I would try to open up the laptop casing if you can and give it a good spray.

Is it possible for someone who is not a technician to open the casing?

This may or may not seem like a foolish question, but are there any standard performance problems caused by dust etc getting to the machine?

Well, all the dust overtime creates a thin thermal layer that can trap heat which may result in hardware failure overtime--but that's worse case scenario. It's good to have it dusted out at least once a year. I'm using a laptop too and all I do is spray the exhaust area and whatever crevices I find. I don't open it up though. To major. Sooner or later, we'll all be buying new laptops soon.

Opening the case uses simple screws and screwdriver. Just be careful you can put it back together.

I almost certainly can't. I am concerned about larger pieces of grit getting into the keyboard etc and jamming it.

Try using a paintbrush or something similar to dust the keys out, i use my vaccuum cleaner with the brush attachment to go over the keys lightly. Ive been doing this for a while and never had any problems

Take it to a shop, ask them to open it up and just use compressed air then. Or sue the builders, how stupid is that?!

If you knew they where comming it's part your fault. But having said that advise the contractor that your property has been damaged and of your intent to present him with the bill for repairs. Then take the lappy to a shop and let them clean it.

Back
Top Bottom